Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feathers n jack Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
    My parakeets
    I have two indian ringneck parakeets 1 male blue and 1 female grey the female is about two years old and the male is about 6 - 7 months but the female has always been very aggressive I think maybe she was just plucked out of the wild but its not that its she is being very aggressive to the other birds (cockatiels) but now she is very bad to the new male the only bird she ever got along with was a budgie that we had but he got outside and flew away since then she has got worse but she will not except the new male but I want them to breed will she ever except him or what will I do please help

Feathers and jack
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
    In answer to your question,

Ringnecks are very territorial birds and very against other species, it isn't advisable to ever house them with anything but ringneck parakeets...

I have to ask how you know the male is in fact a male ? Have you had him dna sexed? The reason I ask this is that ringnecks can not be sexed visually until they are 3 years old, the females can be sexed sooner but males as a rule do not show their rings until they are sexually mature at 3 years old,
    Females can be mature fully at around 18 month to 2 years old,

If she was an aviary bird before you had her even as a chick they can be very aggressive, if she was hand reared and was aggressive when you had her from a chick the chances are whoever hand reared her didn't do a very good job,

If you are planning to breed from her you need a male that is 3 years or over , they must be introduced togather before adding them into the same cage and preferably the cage should be unfamiliar grounds, the female will be very territorial of where she is now,

You will first need to get them aquaionted by putting the cages next to each other for a few weeks or so , then once they interact with each other , and make the general noises without trying to gouge each others eyeballs out through the bars , then you can try them in the same cage, preferable to add them to a new cage as said before becase of territory issues, add them in the morning when they have time to get used to each other and establish dominance between them (yes they may have a peck at each other and some cases draw a slight bit of blood but anything bad (a watchful eye on them is needed!! ) and the bird will need to be removed, they will need a short fight to establish dominance but when they do it it shouldn't last long, otherwise they may just get on like a house on fire and start preening and feeding straight away, each bird is different...

I would suggest however not to keep her or him for that matter in with any cockatiels, you may find she settles down a lot away from them, and if planning on breeding then yo definitely must keep all other birds apart from 1 male ringneck, separate!! Otherwise any other bird in the cage with them will end up well their will be a severe bloodbath , and almost certainly a fatality,!
    Cockatiels are very gentle birds and will get on with a lot, however budgies are very nippy spiteful birds and hold their ground, and budgies almost certainly have caused an awful lot of fatalitys when mixed in with other species of birds... ringnecks are likewise the same ,
    All to be kept species only, yo do get the odd exeption but trust me the odds are really not worth the risk..

Good luck with your birds, you have a long way off before you can breed from them and so a lot of time to prepare... if you need any info just ask, there is a thread on here to which I replied with some info about ringnecks and breeding if you have a search through other pets and animals you will find it, good luck and if you have any more questions please ask :)

Katie
    feathers n jack Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Sorry the cockatiels aren't in the same cage they are in separate cages away from the ring neck I was told at the pet shop were I bought the male that he was about 6 - 7 months but you said he won't get his ring until he is about 3 years he already has his ring!! They seem to be getting on fine now there in the same cage sleeping (seperate sides)!! And she isn't being as aggressive for the time being! I'm not sure what she was before I got her but the male was aviary rared but he is not as aggressive!! o yeea and one more thing if you could help me my tiels are breeding at the moment . One of the hens already hatched her chicks in December but she had 5 eggs and only 1 chick hatched do you know why because I would like to avoid the second hen doing the same thing if possible!! Thank you
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 8, 2008, 02:49 AM
    Hi, hatching of eggs depends on many things, and the chances are that other eggs may have been fertile but dead in shell, this can happen for many many reasons and can't be subjected to just 1 reason, it can be caused by knock to the eggs, to high humidity, to low humidity, not sitting them all properly, just infertile, their could have been a problem with the chicks or a possibility that your birds may be related, bacterial infections ,
    So as yo can see as the list goes on there are many reasons and maybe next time more will hatch,
    I find if yo desturb the birds very little and they are used to you and not desturb the box too much then usually you get better results, it stops them jumping an accidentally breaking the eggs, do you feed your birds eggfood? Was it their first clutch of eggs? If it was their first clutch or the birds were quite young you tend to get worse results and the more times they go to nest the better the results get,

There is nothing to say the second hen (all birds are different ) won't have a full healthy clutch of eggs because the other only hatched one, I would take a look at the hatch results when they hatch and write everything down, then the next time change 1 thing abot how you do it to see if you get better results, if you get a full cltch from this lot , then the next time to see if the cock on the other pair that only hatched 1 isn't doing his job properly, yo could pair him with the hen that had this clutch.. if all eggs are not full you may consider getting another cock bird ,

What size nest box are you using and what is on the floor of the nestbox? What are they fed on? Do you feed them different depending on the breeding season.. any vitimins? Etc etc all the info will be able to help give tips on what yo can try :)...

As for the ringnecks, females also can have rings around their neck as well as males, this makes them hard to sex until the ring becomes established and the rose ring appears in full color, cocks really dark thicker black with a ring of pink around them, I have no pictures of a ringneck so can't add one but if you do a Google images search you will see what I mean, if the cock has an established ring around its neck then the petshop either guessed at its age or they intentionally lied to sell you the bird... the earliest they can get a ring from is 18 month old established and many of the cocks not established until 3 years old when they get the pink ring around the neck :)
    If the cock is mature sexually then it could be that he wants to breed and the hen isn't quite ready which was why they have not been getting on or that she is ready and he is not.. .

Good luck with them and hope that this can help answer your questuons, please don't be concearned abot the cockatiels lack of results just yet, give them a cople more chances at nesting and see if the results get better :)

Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lice from Parakeets [ 1 Answers ]

My baby's moma is in at me about my son having head lice. I don't have lice. My other kids don't have lice. My fiancé don't have lice. I do however have parakeets. Can they have the same lice that is tranmittable to humans? Also is it true that black people don't get lice?

Breeding Indian Ringneck Parakeets [ 4 Answers ]

I have two Indian Ringnecks, male and female. The male is still a little young but they are definitely paired... well, protective of their cage. The female bites me unless she is allowed to come out on her own, and she never did this before. Before I build them a nest box I was hoping that someone...

Daschunds and Parakeets? [ 3 Answers ]

We have two mini piebald daschunds who are normal for their breed--they love to sniff and eat whatever they find on the floor. My daughter wants a parakeet, and as I expect a lot of birdseed debris on the floor, I am wondering if eating this would be harmful to the dogs. Also if the bird got...

View more questions Search