Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 07:20 AM
    The drug war isn't working. I thought you knew it too.
    Hello:

There was a drug bust on the San Diego campus yesterday. It was mostly pot with some coke and some ecstasy thrown in... It was just your normal bust...

I saw the coverage on CNN headline news (that's all I got these days). What surprised me, was the surprise of the announcer. He was just shocked that this took place. I mean, he was REALLY, REALLY shocked! He asked whether the correspondent thought this was going on on other campuses in the country...

What??

He evidently, thinks the drug war is working. He is living in la la land. Do YOU think the drug war is working too??

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 07:53 AM
    I don't see it in terms of war . I see a bunch of University of San Diego students who decided to violate the law and sell drugs . They were directly responsible for the death of 2 students who od'ed on their product. This isn't a case of a bunch of students selling themselve a joint or 2 . This was hard drugs that I don't think even you believe should be available for recreational consumption.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Hello again, tom:

You point out the real problem that results when the government classifies pot as equally as dangerous as the real hard drugs. You shouldn't be surprised when people believe it.

Clearly, this was and IS a typical college campus. You can get ANY drug there. It's NOT the pot dealers fault that some guy sells something that is harmful. The POT dealers didn't harm anybody! Not a soul. Even you don't think so.

excon
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 11:03 AM
    No it is not working. I live in the midst of druggies and dealers and IF 'n when the police actually decide to do something about the drugs after 'watching' them for 2 years or more they simply get out within a week or two and back to the same old same old. I call the jail the place with the revolving door--they are in and out and in and out...
    When I say 'Where you been?'
    They say 'vacation'
    I laugh 'haha code word whoscow!'
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 11:12 AM
    It is not working in the case of pot, just like it did not work in the case of prohibition of alcohol, or if there were to be a war against tobacco. People enjoy good food, beverages, smokes, and evidently drugs. So ban the hard stuff and regulate the soft.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
    College drug sting snags justice, security majors, scores of others - CNN.com

FOUR POUNDS of cocaine! A "normal bust." :eek: Where do you live EX?

Wow, and I thought kids were going to college to LEARN something.

The article does not state whether these drugs were homegrown or imported :confused:
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 7, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Cocaine is not grown in the US, and no the drug war has been lost ever since the Chinese kicked the British out of their country, for trying to control the opium trade. Such public desplays make the enforcement guys look good, like there doing a good job, but the haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg, and the campus in question already has replaced the dealers and the dope. This is a real old story, that's been going on since the 60's on the college campuses, across the nation. What? You thought the only dope heads where uneducated miscreants, in the ghetto?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    College drug sting snags justice, security majors, scores of others - CNN.com

FOUR POUNDS of cocaine! A "normal bust." :eek: Where do you live EX?

Wow, and I thought kids were going to college to LEARN something.

The article does not state whether these drugs were homegrown or imported :confused:
    I live in Philly and a tiny little bust of 4 kilo's of coke wouldn't even be mentioned on the news or in the newspaper. Let me know when they make a somewhat major bust of say a 100 kilo's that happens every other month in Philly. 4 Kilo's is laughable. But my question is where do you live in the box that you think 4 kilo's is a lot?

And no the drug war is not working I say Legalize everything from pot to herion If everything was legal the government would control it (not like they don't now) and there would be a lot less violence in city's like Philly and NY etc...

May 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
    SE USA:

I'm amazed that 4 pounds of cocaine is nothing to you all.

Have you been so desensitized to the societal effects of drugs that you just give up and think " what the heck" legalize everything.

Meth and weed are bigger issues here.

Have you all not seen or know what drugs do to families, children, marriages?

Do you not care?
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Hello again:

So, it's about 5 to 2.5 of you who don't think the drug war is working. I can't tell exactly where tom comes down. I think he knows it's not working, but he's cool with it.

So, why are we still doing it? Why isn't anybody talking about it? You DO know that we can't ignore it forever. It's going to consume us if it hasn't already.

excon
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Hello again, in:

We were posting at the same time. I'd like to address your concerns...

Yes, indeedy do, I know what drugs do to family's. My question for you is, if the drug war is working, why is it STILL doing it to family's?? Your statement alone proves the present approach isn't working.

Drugs should be legalized and regulated just like we regulate liquor and tobacco. At the same time, we need to offer drug rehabilitation on demand to anybody... I suggest further that we transfer our efforts from the legal framework to the health framework.

If we did that, I think drug use would come out of the closet. I don't think many people really want to be addicted, but there's nowhere for them to go now.

Yes, a few people will try drugs, but I think the idea is overblown. From my perspective, everybody who has a propensity to use drugs is already using them. I don't think there's many people just chomping at the bit to try 'em when they become legal. Do you know anybody like that? I don't.

Finally, the price would drop sooooo much that the black market would be virtually wiped out if ONE FELL SWOOP. Yes, I suppose there'll be the odd pot dealer around just like there's still the odd bootlegger.

As an addendum, I would also suggest that if we ended the drug war, and let the non violent drug offenders out, there'll be TONS of room to keep the really bad guys locked up for a loooong time. Prison building would STOP being a growth industry. That's a good thing. Do you know that we are responsible for about a quarter of the worlds prison population??

Hopefully, that'll give you something to think about.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 01:19 PM
    I know exactly what cocaine does to a family. It is an ugly ugly thing. Can't trust the person, can't even look at the person because of the dried up blood and coke encrusted on their nose. It is a horrible thing. I have also seen how alcohol ruins a family (it is actually worst then cocaine). But I don't see anyone running out to get prohibition reinstated.

The facts are people are going to do what they want to do plain and simple. So why not tax the hell out of it make it safer for the people who don't use the drugs. If it were legal 95% of the gun violence in Philadelphia would be gone. Mothers would be able to take their kids to the park again because they wouldn't have to worry about the junkie sitting on the swing set waiting for his dealer. There would never be a story on the news again of a little girl walking to school getting shot because of drug deal gone bad.

May 8, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Ex :

For the most part I agree.

As to drug rehab, I doubt if more than 10% of users would actually consider it.

There are legalized/ regulated drugs that are being abused - hydrocodone, oxycodone, alprazolam, alcohol, tobacco etc... and just like illegal drugs, making them legal does not make them any safer or prevent addiction, dui[s], and all the sociobehavioral consequences.

I do agree about prison / drugs / non-violent offenders.

If current illegal drugs were to be made legal, I think there should be just as strong a law regarding personal responsibility. By this I mean,

20 years from now, drug users that have fried any mental capability they had can not sue the manufacturer[s] because they turned out to be a looser by their own choice.
    You can't blame Pcp for your murder spree, or crack for the damage that it did to your child. Do you know what I mean?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Surprised it made the news, some college PR people dropped the ball there. We did a large drug bust on a local campus here a few years ago.
    Anywhere else, I would have been standing by my police car with drugs, and bongs and money all over the hood of the car. Four ** arrests** well I latter went looking for the booking sheets to check for the court dates. Well somewhere along the lines, those students did get suspended one semester but the college arranged for charges to be droped, no mention in any newspaper.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

May 8, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    . They were directly responsible for the death of 2 students who od'ed on their product..
    The students were surely responsible for their own deaths:confused: . If you take something that you know might kill you, and you die, then that's your own d*mn fault.

I don't see why we criminalise this, in the same way I don't understand why we should criminalise suicide. In general, taking drugs and suicide has very similar results.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
    If it were legal, the criminals wouldn't be able to make money, and buy a bank, or a yacht. Back in the 80's drug profits, financed rebels all over the world, just ask Ollie North.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Good point Talaniman! And all the antidrug commercial today say Illegal drugs help support terrorism. If they were legal no more drug money for terrorist's!
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

May 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
    The problem with legalizing drugs is that the government doesn't have backing for it. It's not a big enough issue for most people who want it legalized to refuse to vote for someone who doesn't want to legalize drugs.

It's why America needs a third party that actually tries to fix issues instead of pandering to different special interest groups.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    It's not a big enough issue for most people who want it legalized to refuse to vote for someone who doesn't want to legalize drugs.
    Hello michealb:

Very true. But they have a lobby. If you people mean what you say, send a contribution to Norml. The more money they have, the bigger their voice.

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    The problem with legalizing drugs is that the government doesn't have backing for it. It's not a big enough issue for most people who want it legalized to refuse to vote for someone who doesn't want to legalize drugs.

It's why America needs a third party that actually trys to fix issues instead of pandering to different special interest groups.
    I think you are right; the 'constituency' that would vote for drug legalization is basically turned on and tuned out; the folks that show up at the polls want drug sellers prosecuted and sentenced to long, hard time. There is a very destructive, Puritanical thread within American politics, and right now it is presently coalesced around prosecuting drug sellers and users.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never knew password [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased hp laptop from eBay and it has a power on password which I was gave but has a log on password that I do not know and would like to find out how to bypass this password so I can use the laptop

I knew the Holiday would hurt [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, I was just sitting here thinking about how horrible this is to be the Holiday and not be with her. I am sure she is not thinking this way, I wish I wasn't. I hate that I can't seem to get past this. It still amazes me that this is where I am. I guess feeling sad and alone is just part of...

Wish I knew who sings this song, do you? [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the alternative rock song with a fast groove and cool beat with these lyrics? All I want to do is to thank you even though I don't know who you are. You let me change lanes while I was driving in my car. Thanks, Shar1

Working with a credit agency on a charged off debt I thought was settled [ 1 Answers ]

Years ago, three days after my ex and I filed for divorce, I received a small credit card for $300. I paid it regularly and on time until they hit me with an "annual fee" that I thought was a "one time start up fee". It threw the card over the limit, they slapped over the limit fees on that,...

Wish I knew... [ 2 Answers ]

All readings appreciated. I fell hard for this gentleman at work. Can anyone tell me if he has developed strong feelings for me too?

View more questions Search