Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pimp_mah_alpaka Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Leaving home
    I'm 15 and I want to leave home because I can't stand it here any longer. I no if I stay here I'm going to really hurt myself and I don't want to do that. My mum is putting a lot of pressure on me to be the daughter that everyone would think of as top notch. I'm not perfect and I can't tell her that because shell just go phyco at me. My dad is in a lot of stress at the moment because of reasons I can't tell. My oldest brother hurts me, calls me names, teases me and hurts me emotionally. My sister is constantly on me asking me question after question. I get all angry at her and tell her to go away, and when she does she comes back with mum who gives me lecture after lecture about this and that and I can't TAKE IT ANYMORE! It might not sound so bad to you, but I'm the one living it and the one thing I'm not living is my life. I can't do anything and I'm feed up. Running away is what I have chosen.. a quote goes 'in order to get something even BETTER than before, first you must give up something precious'
    Can you please tell me the age that is allowed for a teen 2 leave? This is what I gained from the internet:

# In Australia parents and guardians are usually legally responsible for the care of their children until the age of 18, but different people and cultures expect certain responsibilities at different ages.

# Teenagers and children under 18 who leave home are still the responsibility of their parents or guardians.

# There is no written law prohibiting a young person leaving home without parental consent.

# Usually a teenager's parent/guardian has legal guardianship, custody and control until they are 18 years of age.

# If a young person under 16 years of age, leaves home, the situation is considered more serious than a young person between 16 and 18 years of age. This is partly because it is usually more difficult for a young person under 16 to support themselves emotionally and financially.

# If a teenager, under 16 years, leaves home without their parent's consent and the parents feel their child may be in physical or moral danger they can go to Family and Children's Services for assistance. Each case is different, so a variety of methods, including mediation, counselling or family therapy, may be used to help seek a reconciliation within the family.

# If the parents don't know where their teenager is living, they may also contact their local police station and report the young person as a 'missing person', in which case the police will try and locate the young person.

However I don't know if this is true. Please help.. I want to leave ASAP n live a better life
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

May 7, 2008, 12:08 AM
    Listen. The best advice ANYONE could give to you would be to quit taking everything so dang seriously! I mean come on! You're 15 years old! OF COURSE your parents are going to put pressure on you.. most parents do and if you learn how to deal with it properly you will be a better person later in life. You can't just run away from all your problems just because you think they are terrible. You have a HOME, a FAMILY (whether you like them or not), FOOD on the table, a BED to sleep in, and ENDLESS opportunities that lay ahead of you. Why don't you put all your focus into school and try to graduate early and go off to college? At least you will be doing something productive and beneficial to your life.

When you feel stressed and angry, think about how short life really is. Do you want to spend your teenage years angry over something that really isn't that big of a deal? I think not. Enjoy being young while you can because in a few years you will be an adult and you're going to have to start paying bills and figuring out life. Live off your parents while you can because at 15 years old, you are not going to be able to find a job that is going to support you living on your own.. life will be very different then the one you are accustome to. No more video games, no more TV, no more laying around not really doing anything, no more home cooked meals, no more safe/clean home, no worrying about bills and how to live from pay check to paycheck..

Life for you right now is really good.. there are people out in the world DYING to have what you have and shame on you for not appreciating it. This is how evident it is that you are too immature to live on your own.. you don't appreciate life and what has been given to you. What if you were one of those kids in Africa or Iraq who had to deal with people with guns in your villiage everyday with nothing to eat and nothing to really live for? Appreciate your life and don't take it for granted.

However, if you choose to continue being very immature about this situation, then get into contact with your grandparents or other close relatives to see if they can take you in.. At least you will be safe there.

Take all this to heart or don't take it at all.. it's up to you.

Watch this: YouTube - Soul Asylum-Runaway Train
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pimp_mah_alpaka
    I'm 15 and i want to leave home because i can't stand it here any longer. i no if i stay here im going to really hurt myself and i dont want to do tht. my mum is putting alot of pressure on me to be the daughter that everyone would think of as top notch. im not perfect and i can't tell her that because shell just go phyco at me. my dad is in alot of stress at the moment because of reasons i can't tell. my oldest brother hurts me, calls me names, teases me and hurts me emotionally. my sister is constantly on me asking me question after question. i get all angry at her and tell her to go away, and when she does she comes back with mum who gives me lecture after lecture about this and that and I can't TAKE IT ANYMORE! it might not sound so bad to you, but im the one living it and the one thing im not living is my life. i can't do anything and im feed up. running away is what i have chosen.. a quote goes 'in order to get something even BETTER than before, first you must give up something precious'
    can you please tell me the age that is allowed for a teen 2 leave? this is what i gained from the internet:

# In Australia parents and guardians are usually legally responsible for the care of their children until the age of 18, but different people and cultures expect certain responsibilities at different ages.

# Teenagers and children under 18 who leave home are still the responsibility of their parents or guardians.

# There is no written law prohibiting a young person leaving home without parental consent.

# Usually a teenager's parent/guardian has legal guardianship, custody and control until they are 18 years of age.

# If a young person under 16 years of age, leaves home, the situation is considered more serious than a young person between 16 and 18 years of age. This is partly because it is usually more difficult for a young person under 16 to support themselves emotionally and financially.

# If a teenager, under 16 years, leaves home without their parent's consent and the parents feel their child may be in physical or moral danger they can go to Family and Children's Services for assistance. Each case is different, so a variety of methods, including mediation, counselling or family therapy, may be used to help seek a reconciliation within the family.

# If the parents don't know where their teenager is living, they may also contact their local police station and report the young person as a 'missing person', in which case the police will try and locate the young person.

however i dont know if this is true. please help.. i want to leave ASAP n live a better life
    From a legal standpoint, it varies by State.

The parents are legally responsible until the child is legal age. The parents CAN emancipated the child so they are no longer legally responsible.

Often children leave, the parents don't report them missing, no one is the wiser.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2008, 06:03 AM
    You need to check the laws in your arera on emancicpation. To become emancipated you need to show that you can live on your own, have a job, a place to live, etc. This is very hard for a 15 yr old to do.

That being said, I think you are over dramatizing. I think you need to sit down with a family counselor to help you resilve your issues.
    afro jesus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pimp_mah_alpaka
    I'm 15 and i want to leave home because i can't stand it here any longer. i no if i stay here im going to really hurt myself and i dont want to do tht. my mum is putting alot of pressure on me to be the daughter that everyone would think of as top notch. im not perfect and i can't tell her that because shell just go phyco at me. my dad is in alot of stress at the moment because of reasons i can't tell. my oldest brother hurts me, calls me names, teases me and hurts me emotionally. my sister is constantly on me asking me question after question. i get all angry at her and tell her to go away, and when she does she comes back with mum who gives me lecture after lecture about this and that and I can't TAKE IT ANYMORE! it might not sound so bad to you, but im the one living it and the one thing im not living is my life. i can't do anything and im feed up. running away is what i have chosen.. a quote goes 'in order to get something even BETTER than before, first you must give up something precious'
    can you please tell me the age that is allowed for a teen 2 leave? this is what i gained from the internet:

well know how you feel bother calling you names

however i dont know if this is true. please help.. i want to leave ASAP n live a better life
    I know how feel my bro is always beating me stealing my stuff breaking it and he never gets in trouble I hate my family
    MommyLeah Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Do you have a real plan of where you will go, how you will support yourself? If you run away with no where to live, no money, you will end up on the streets. You will end up in a worse situation then you feel you are in now. People are not nice on the street. They don't just take you in. They beat you, rape you and use you. If you think your brother is mean wait till you hit the real world. Please, if you leave have a plan! When I was 14 I had a friend run away. I was afraid to say anything because she made me promise not to tell. A couple days later, her family contacted the school and I gave in, seeing it was serious. She was suppose to go to her uncles, but seeing she had no car she never made it. They found her raped and broken. She was never the same. Her story was much like yours before she left. She didn't feel any of her family cared much for her.
    So please, think it through really carefully first. The legal reasons for leaving are very unimportant when it comes to your life. My friend was lucky she lived and also unlucky in some ways. It is hard to live after something like that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving a puppy home alone. [ 11 Answers ]

I am going to buy a new puppy soon and my mum has a dog at home already. My only concern is the amount of time it will be left alone. I have a crate which I will put toys and bedding in (and a bowl of water). I will also take it for a walk before I leave to go to school. Will the puppy be OK in the...

Leaving a puppy home alone. [ 8 Answers ]

I would love to get a puppy and already have a dog at home but I work up to six hours a day. Before I go to work I am able to take it for a walk and I have a crate I can out toys a bed and water in. But I am still worried that six hours is to long. Is there anything else I can do? :confused:...

Going home and leaving debts. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been here for 6 years and awaiting the green card, however, we were both laid-off last year and have been living off our savings,which are now extremely low; my husband is unable to work for a few more months (or claim benefit) due to a routine operation in October that went ...

Leaving home [ 1 Answers ]

In england how old do you have to be until u can leave home :(

Leaving Home [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had to have my 20-year old son get his own apt. I needed to open up a room for his older brother who was coming home from prison and had to stay with me. It is myself, my fiancé and 14-year old who live there and now my older son. But my 20-year old is angry about having to move. For...

View more questions Search