Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedneckRob1969 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 10:57 PM
    Very rare old coins in search of their value
    Hello there all,
    My name is Rob and I am new to this site. My Great Grandfather recently passed away and left me a coin collection. I have no idea the value of these very old coins. I am interested in learning the value of them and possibly putting them on my insurance policy. Can anyone help me discover their value? I will offer whomever a fair helpers fee if I can get some info. Thank you for your time and look forward to a response from only serious helpers.

Regards to you and yours, Rob
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 11:19 PM
    Greetings and WELCOME to the site, Rob!

I needed to move your question to a more appropriate topic area other than Introductions. Introductions is only for introducing yourself and not asking questions. If a person posts a question in Introductions, there is a likelihood that the best people to answer it may never notice it.

Yes, we can advise you concerning the possible monetary value of your coins here. But, please realize that without seeing them first hand, and the fact that we are people that give freely of our time here and aren't a coin dealer, we can only give you guesstimates. The advantage here though, is that all of the advice is free. The most ideal thing to do would be to take them to a coin dealer who could see them first-hand and advise you concerning them. We do have at least one person on this site who does have current documentation concerning the monetary values of coins. If you post what it is that you have, and also the condition of the coins, then I am sure that he, or someone else, would be glad to help you.

Thank you!
    dolly2009 Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

May 7, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Okay try this. Go to eBay and type in the labeling around the coin. It should come up. Then it should tell the you the face amount. Right now my uncle is sleeping. I'm going to ask him tomorrow and I will get back with you
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 12:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dolly2009
    Okay try this. Go to ebay and type in the labeling around the coin. it should come up. then it should tell the you the face amount. Right now my uncle is sleeping. I m going to ask him tomorrow and I will get back with you
    Hopefully, answers will come directly from this site and stay on this site. By doing that, others who have similar questions might also benefit by the answers that have been given concerning collectible coins or collectibles of any kind. That is part of the beauty and intent of this site. It is like a huge encyclopedia of accumulated knowledge.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 12:49 AM
    Welcome to the site REDNECKROB - I am the one that goes by the FLYING BLUE EAGLE> I may be able to help you with the answers you need concerning the old coins you are wanting to know about, I have been dealing and collecting coins since I was 7 years old , I know quite a lot about them, it has been one of my passions. AS CLOUGH AND SOME OTHERS WILL TELL YOU , when I answer a post on coins and paper money , I give every thing I can in my answers, I give trufull answers right out of the current books , If my books don't have what I want then I do have other places I can go TO .
    I can only go by what you tell me on your post, what really helpsa on gradeing the coins is if you can paste a picture of the coins ( FRONT & BAQCK SIDES )
    What I will need is the denomination ( PENNY< Nickel ECT> ECT> , I will need the date, mint mark ( Some Mint marks are on the back of the coin, sometimes on the front ( FACE side of the coin, ( IT can be - None! A " D " < " S "- " P ' - " O " " CC " And pretty close To what condition the coin is in . I have placed on the collectables site " of what to look for ,on pre gradeing of the coin< I can tell you where the most reliable coin graders are and get you hooked up with themi can go to my book by the type of coin the date & mint markAnd give you up to date the value of the coin, other information, as per the condition of the coin. ECT> ECT> WELCOME AND GOD BLESS;;F B. E. P.S. Coins are graded From ( G ) ( G-4) ( F 12 ) EF12---EF- 40 ( MS 63 ) ( MS-65 ) PF -60 and ( PF-65 :::: F.B.E.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2008, 05:01 AM
    For insurance purpose, you will have to take the coins physcially to a coin dealer and have a written value. This will be your only proof to the insurance company they will accept due to values differ by quality of the coins.

For your own, you type in each coin type and look them up on the interent and also compare to what similar coins sell on eBay.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 10:47 PM
    REDneckrob1969 - Give me the answers to my questions On post # 5 above and I will try my very best to give you the answers you are wanting. Have a good day and GOD BLESS ;;; F.B.E.
    dolly2009 Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

May 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Some insurance companies won't insure coins.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    For insurance purpose, you will have to take the coins physcially to a coin dealer and have a written value. This will be your only proof to the insurance company they will accept due to values differ by quality of the coins.

For your own, you type in each coin type and look them up on the interent and also compare to what simular coins sell on ebay.
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

May 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
    [QUOTE=Flying Blue Eagle]Welcome to the site REDNECKROB - I am the one that goes by the FLYING BLUE EAGLE> I may be able to help you with the answers you need concerning the old coins you are wanting to know about, I have been dealing and collecting coins since I was 7 years old , I know quite a lot about them, it has been one of my passions. AS CLOUGH AND SOME OTHERS WILL TELL YOU , when I answer a post on coins and paper money , I give every thing I can in my answers, I give trufull answers right out of the current books , If my books don't have what I want then I do have other places I can go TO .

Hi Eagle,
    I would love it if you could view my picture of a misprinted dollar bill, I have a post recently called "Misprinted Dollar Bill" under collectibles. Thanks Ace
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 02:09 AM
    Originally Posted by Ace High
    Hi Eagle,
    I would love it if you could view my picture of a misprinted dollar bill, I have a post recently called "Misprinted Dollar Bill" under collectibles. Thanks Ace
    I am sure that Flying Blue Eagle will be glad to be addressing all questions concerning coins or currency once he gets back in town. He is currently away on a long-needed honeymoon for he and his wife's 50th wedding anniversary.
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

May 16, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I am sure that Flying Blue Eagle will be glad to be addressing all questions concerning coins or currency once he gets back in town. He is currently away on a long-needed honeymoon for he and his wifes 50th wedding anniversary.
    Thanks, I hope he and his wife have a grand time. Ace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rare books [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A (2)Magazines Dated october1912-THE OUTING MAGAZINE.Published By outing publishing co,of new york&chicago,I Was Wondering If Anyone Knows The Value Of Thease Magazines,They Sold For 25 Cents in 1912 Thanks Robert

Rare Extracts [ 7 Answers ]

Have any one used Rare extracts and actually seen really good results? I've been using now for about 2 weeks and some days I think I see results than other days I can't tell. I'm not sure if it is because of my skin tone which is light yellowish brown, and at times look different any way or what....

Rare wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a case of Château Margauxc 1996 in London City Bond. I want an advise what to do , either to keep it or sell it and if sell it, what is the best price and where I can get it. Thank you.

Selling rare US coins on eBay [ 6 Answers ]

I've attended trade shows, visited coin dealers, done all of my due diligence, but have been unable to come up with a reliable source for wholesale rare US coins to sell on eBay. I prefer to sell PCGS or NGC certified rare coins, as those bring in the most money. Does anyone know who I can contact...

View more questions Search