Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 09:50 PM
    2 become a dental assistant
    Is it possible for me to become a dental assistant when am wearing full dentures top and bottom?:confused: :confused: :confused: thanks...
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 03:27 AM
    I suppose it would depend on your skills. In 30 yrs in dentistry I can honestly say I have never worked with anyone who had complete upper and lower dentures. I know when I applied to college for my program they asked for dental and medical examinations. It would also be difficult for you to participate in any classroom activities that have you practising techniques with a partner. So now that I think of it, I'd say it's highly unlikely. Sorry.:(
    dbie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Thanks flossie... I made up my mind.. I will go for medical assistant instead... thanks for the honest answer.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 07:19 PM
    You are welcome and good luck. I'm sure there is more room for advancement as a medical assistant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Actually at least in the US, yes you can, you can not be discriminated against for your medical issues unless it directly effects the ability of your job.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 07:31 PM
    I still think one would be hard pressed to find a dentist who would hire an assistant with full dentures. The assistant is there to promote dental health. How can one promote dental health when one has no teeth?? Unless, of course, it's a"I wish I knew then, what I know now."
    HogleLover Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

May 12, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Im in school for dental assisting right now. And just like Flossie has said... it would be very difficult for you to participate class time because no one would be able to practice on you. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to practice on your school mates.
    In my honest opinion.. I think you should check out the dental field... because my mom went to school to be a medical assistant and they didn't quite make what a dental assistant makes. But then again, I guess it all depends on what area you live in.

Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.
    PenPress Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 08:41 AM
    I agree with "HogleLover". There is no reason for you not to be able to go to school for dental assistant program.

Your classmates will just have to practice on someone else.

Even if somebody doesn't have dentures he/she can refuse to let anyone look into the mouth based on religious belief and concern for invasion of privacy.

Nobody can discriminate against you based on that.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Just curious PenPress... would YOU hire a dental assistant knowing she wore full upper and lower dentures?
    PenPress Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 12:01 PM
    I do not own a practice, but I would NOT hold it against anybody who is a qualified dental assistant.

If a school accepts an applicant with such situation, then that person successfully completes the course, and gets certified, you cannot hold the use of dentures against that dental assistant. That is outright discrimination. I am really appalled.

I have worked at University of Pennsylvania, where the assistant wore both upper and lower complete dentures and everybody knew about it. Now that this question came up I see why people hold high regards for an institution like PENN. I am proud to be an alumnus of that school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dental laboratory Assistant Job Interview Questions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask, what kind of questions would they ask in an interview for a dental lab assistant job and what kind of answers would they be looking for? If anyone can give some idea I would be very grateful. So far all I can think of is: 1. Tell me a bit about yourself....

Confused dental assistant [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering how much money a phlebotimist makes in upper montgomery county in Maryland. Im going to be finishing school soon and not sure which way to go, medical assisting, or phlebotomy. One of these will be my stepping stone into nursing. Please help.:confused:

More assistant [ 2 Answers ]

1. In order to be classified as a current liability, the liability needs to become due within ________. (is it 30-60 days? ) 2. the amount of a note payment due in the next twelve months is called _____. 3. a note due in 2 years with no amortization would be classified on the balance sheet...

View more questions Search