Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgilber1227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Buying a business
    I am thinking of buying an existing business. I have known the person I'm buying from for 16 years. I need to know if I buy the business and the IRS comes back and audits the business from when this person owned it then would I be the one being audited or would she? I think she may have took money off the top so I don't want to buy this business and then the IRS come to me in a couple of years for something she has done. Any help would be appreciated.
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2008, 08:53 PM
    When purchasing business, buy the assets of the company not the stock. As such, you will not assume or be liable for known or unknown liabilities of the company.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Yes, you want to merely buy the name, and the physical items ( stock)
    You will want to hire an attorney to do the paper work to lower your liabilities
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 6, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lgilber1227
    I am thinking of buying an existing business. I have known the person I'm buying from for 16 years. I need to know if I buy the business and the IRS comes back and audits the business from when this person owned it then would I be the one being audited or would she? I think she may have took money off the top so I don't want to buy this business and then the IRS come to me in a couple of years for something she has done. Any help would be appreciated.
    You should normally use a property agent or an escrow company to do the deal. The escrow company will put an add a paper reporting the sale of the business and will invite objections. They will also get clearances from various departments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business Being Named the Same as Another Business and Registering a Business [ 3 Answers ]

What if mt business name is taken and how do I register my company or business? :)

Buying a small business [ 2 Answers ]

We are interested in buying a small business doing repairs at car lots on fabric, leather, dashboard cuts, etc. The seller is willing to owner finance with 10% down. It grosses approximately $75,000 with little overhead. The sale would include all the supplies, a truck, air compressor and...

Looking for small town business-to-business service need I'm qualified for [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone out there can help! Some entrepreneur who's already made this discovery and who can hep me do similar. Seems everything I can think of nobody would pay any $ for me to do. I am 7 yr stay at home MOM w/ 2 kids now just both in school and I really need to find work I can do to...

Tell me some business plans of internet business [ 1 Answers ]

I am Biomedical engineer. I have interest in food, restaurants, medical equipments. Is there any business plans for me? pl. guide me

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search