Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddyboy13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Laptop hookup
    I have a CPU and I'm hooked up to High speed cable. My girlfriend moved in and wants to use her Laptop. The cable people told me to hook up her router to my modem. But my CPU ethernet port does not work. I run from the modem to a USB port on my computer. All the routers use an ethernet port. How do I get her laptop working?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 09:05 PM
    I'm not certain that's it. There is some amount of configuring to get a modem to work with Ethernet and/or USB. For one, you can't generally connect the modem to the PC without a cross over cable or a hub/switch. You can if one has an Auto MDIX (?) port.

Then there is NAT and DHCP that needs to be configured on both ends to get one computer to work.

Then to add the other router, you have to place the modem in BRIDGE mode and make the new router do DHCP and NAT.

Then who knows if this router is a wireless router, so you have more configuring to do.

The steps are messy, but having the model of the modem or a link to the manual would help bunches.

Knowing if the Ethernet card or modem supported Auto MIDX (?) would help too.

And so would knowing whether you get a response from a "ping 127.0.0.1" from the command prompt.

Getting a link light on the PC and modem is one of the first steps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Laptop won't hookup to cable high-speed through main computer [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I give. I've tried everything and I still can't hookup to the internet. I need help. I have a cable modem & D-Link router on main computer. My work computer works fine in the dining room. I just picked up a used laptop for personal use and it won't work. I'm not real computer savvy so...

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

Laptop, desktop,and router hookup [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a dell laptop and a linksys router. I got the router installed on my laptop and it works fine. Problem is, now my desktop won't connect to the internet. I know I have something hooked up wrong. HELP!

Hookup TV [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hookup my TV to DVD/VCR, Satellite, Cable? I can get the satellite and cable to work but not the DVD/VCR:confused:

View more questions Search