Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anrsmm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Hippa Violation
    My daughter was in the hospital for a considerable amount of time... One wee were approached in the NICu unit by the doctor who asked us about insurance information(wanting to know if we received payment from them) We were approached in the middle of discharge by the billing dept in front of other hopsital employees and again asked about insurance payment. Today I was approached by the Chief Financial Officer who was contacted by the DOCTOR to speak to me WHILE I was being seen in the OUTPAITIENT clinic for treatment of my child. He wanted to speak to me about my bill... I have NEVER felt so uncomfortable in my LIFE since the nurse in the room had to bring me to hime to speak to him!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Not sure if some collection law may have been violated, but did they discuss your treatment, did they discuss anything other than when the bill was going to be paid. They would have to had discusss something about your treatment to be a violation.
    anrsmm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 05:40 PM
    What I am certainly upset about is the fact that they discussed this in an open area where other patients and parents were and could overhear.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Which may well be against some collection laws. But unless they talked about payment on this operation or payment for this medication,
    Merely asking about payment for the bill, I don't see as a HIPPA issue.

Now you may wish to complain to the attorney general of your state ( assuming you are in the USA) as to violation of collection.
    Also they can review it to see if they feel it is a HIPPA violation.

Many of the HIPPA issues are still being resolved in court case after court case.
    ana_fontanez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Take a look of how the HIPAA Law works and who's covered with: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacysummary.pdf

I understand that any person that have a question about your health or some related theme (like health insurance) have to do it with confidenciality.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa violation [ 3 Answers ]

I work at a medical billing office, only 2 people in our office ever have reason to look at charts. I recently looked at my own chart as I see a doctor in a group that we bill for to see if any of my co-workers might be looking at my chart and to my surprise my direct supervisor and 2 co-workers...

HIPPA Violations [ 4 Answers ]

A patient of the practice that I work for no showed for a follow up visit to a work related injury. The employer came into the office to let know that he has also no showed at work and wasn't sure if he would be in for his appointment. A employee called the patient herself and when he could not be...

HIPPA Violation [ 6 Answers ]

An emergency room nurse at our local hospital is also the foster mom for the two young children of my son's live-in girlfriend. The girlfriend accompanied my son during a recent visit to the ER for him to obtain treatment for an overdose of a prescription medication he "borrowed" from a...

HIPPA Violation [ 4 Answers ]

I recently sent a letter requesting verification of a dental bill that belongs to my ex-husband. This dentist's office is in a very small town which seems insignificant but sort of explains this next part. Upon receiving the letter, the office manager takes my request as a personal attack and...

View more questions Search