Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 01:12 PM
    F 1 student
    I'm an F-1 student, filed my taxes electronically. What the problem is that I filled out the 1040 form instead of 1040NR. Also I came to know about this after I got my refund. Will this affect me in the future because I must apply for a H-1B visa next year.

So what would be the next immediate step for me to do??
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 6, 2008, 06:02 PM
    For 5-years on F1 you are exempt. You must file nonresident tax return. It can't be e-file; must be paper return.
    Now you will do your nonresident return, amended tax return Form 1040X and Form 8843 and send to IRS. You will get deduction as per tax treaty between your country and the U.S.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 09:28 PM
    I have combined your two posts, please do not start a new question *thread * to merely ask for additional info, please merely reply with an answer to your own question, with follow-up or more info

If you ask a new question ( thread) it will no be linked so no one will have any idea what you are talking about.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
    MyDear:

You also have the problem that you may get the stimulus rebate check, a check to which you are NOT ENTITLED.

Do NOT spend that check. You will need to return it when you amend your return by filing Form 1040X and attaching a properly-prepared Form 1040NR-EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Information Please :-) [ 5 Answers ]

I am a long-time pool player, but I have just recently become serious about the sport. In the past two years I have come a long way. I am a 5 ranked player under the APA. Are their any really good videos or books that explain the more difficult shots like masse` and jumping the legal way?

About L.I.F.O Information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I want to ask question about the L.I.F.O (Last in Last Out). Question is: Where do companies use the L.I.F.O. Method. Thanks for you advise.:)

Information [ 3 Answers ]

How many countries are there in world? How many muslim countries? How many hindu countris? Tell me about every relegion countries

Need information [ 3 Answers ]

He this is raj .wel I'm medical student here in romania but as u know as a student life is hard.. o from long time I'm thinking to start smt from my by my own.. so how can start smt from my home by internet.. ple can anyone help me..?

Information [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove ignition cylinder from a 1991 :D honda accord:D

View more questions Search