Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QLife08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 12:38 PM
    18 year old for custody of sibling from suicidal mother
    Hi, I am an 18-year-old female who has much concern regarding the safety, emotional health, and mental health of my younger brother. I would like to know how to get custody of him? He is now 10 years old. I live in Pennsylvania and he lives in South Carolina. I only get to see him in the summer. Usually I take care of him the entire summer and his behavior is fine. While living with my mother he has been kicked out of numerous schools. I strongly believe that he has been exposed to violent behavior. My mother has recently become suicidal in a result to the amount of guilt that she has in her life. I have 2 sisters that live with their father, having an OK life. My father's sister raised me, and I too had a good life as a child. I believe that my brother should have that chance. I am not sure of the whereabouts of my brother's father. Even if I had a clue I would not want him to take care of my brother. He is a child rapist; I know from experience, and he molested my younger sister. He is not fit to take care of a 10-year old boy, he will also expose him to bad behavior which I tend to prevent. My mother may be willing to give me full custody, but I am not looking to eliminate her rights to seeing or talking to him. I would allow him to see her during summer and holidays. If his father gets in contact with me I would also allow him to talk to his son and see him on occasion, but with supervision. I am not expecting to get any money for him, and if there were to be a check some would go to my mother and to a savings account that I would open for him. I am just a worried sister that wants the best for her younger brother. I am willing to take full responsibility of him. I need help in order for that to be a possibility. Please help, and thank you for taking the time out to read this letter.

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2008, 12:46 PM
    If your mother will cede custody or even allow you appointed as a guardian, that will not remove her rights. Your best bet is to get an anttorney who can draw up the papers to get you assigned as aguardian.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to get custody of younger sibling. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok my question is I am 19 years old almost 20 and I have to baby sister one which is now in foster care I was in the system my whole life and I hated it I want my youngest sister to have a lot better life than what I did and now I need some help trying to figure out how to get her she lives in...

Custody of a sibling [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so my fiancée is supposed to be moving to KY and attending NKU college with me, however before he was able to move he had court dates with his family because his step father hit his mother and his little sister after his sister had gone through a surgical procedure on her head for lumps on her...

The life of a bipolar twenty year old and her suicidal fianc [ 2 Answers ]

Its been a while since I've posted or answered anything here. I was kinds in withdrawal from the world for a while. If you have ever seen any of my posts you've seen that my life is far from perfect. My fiancé and I have been through a lot. Recently we separated and while I was gone he started...

Sibling custody [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to get custody of my younger sibling. She is in a foster home and I'm going to be 19 and I would like to get her. How do I do that?

In Search of Birth Mother and sibling(s) [ 6 Answers ]

I was born in Our Lady of Victory Hospital in 1986 in Lackawanna NY. My birth mother was 16 years old when she had me. I was 18 months old when I was adopted by a family in Williamsville NY and still live with them. My parents told me that my birth mother had another child and they would probably...

View more questions Search