Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Husband stole passport and green card.
    Hi,

I am an Indian female based in US having a green card and have a 10 month son who is a US citizen. On our recent trip to India my husband and in laws took my son's US passport, my Indian passport and green card and are not giving it back making us forcibly stay here. My husband has returned to the US and we are stuck here. What can I do to get out of this mess? What are my options??

Thanks
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

May 6, 2008, 12:09 PM
    I believe the immigration office will give you a temp green card if you apply and tell them you have lost both yours and your son's.

I have a friend who is an international student with a green card in college, she lost hers, got a temp one
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 04:42 PM
    You can contact the US embassy in India and get a replacement of your sons passport. You will have to contact the Indian Immigation to get them to replace yours. The embassy should help you with your green card and may also help you in getting temporary back to the US.

Also you need to file a police report against those family members who have done this.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 6, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyn
    Hi,

I am an Indian female based in US having a green card and have a 10 month son who is a US citizen. On our recent trip to India my husband and in laws took my son's US passport, my Indian passport and green card and are not giving it back making us forcibly stay here. My husband has returned to the US and we are stuck here. What can I do to get out of this mess?? What are my options????

Thanks
    First, contact local police and report the incident, make copies of this police report.
    I don't know if local police will be able to help getting your documents back, but you need police report in order to return to US and to file domestic violence if needed.

Then contact US embassy in India, report the incident and request for the so called "Transportation Letter" for you and your son.

You will need copies of the following:

• Statement explain the situation in your own words.
    • Police report
    • Greencard (back and front)
    • Birth Certificate of your son
    • Form I-90 (download from USCIS Home Page)
    • Passport of you and your son's... every pages.
    • Airplane tickets
    • 3 Passport size photos
    • Fee $290

This approval is valid for 15 days only, so this will allow you and your son to return to US. If you have problem such as your husband does not let you in the house, etc. Call the police immediately.

Sorry this happened to you... if you need advice, feel free to contact me.
    Lawanwadee
    smitapatil Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2010, 10:57 AM
    If your family has done this to you. You should be careful.. next he might physically harm you.. when you return to the US.. plan to stay elsewhere. Sorry you were married into such a family with no dignity and morals. Find protection in a community network.,. A local church or women's shelter or someone who knows your rights and will support you. Do not surround yourself with backward women who do not know how to respect you. Traditional women especially mothers in law can never see that their sons are in the wrong and can be our worst friends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Obtaining us passport for green card holder [ 17 Answers ]

I've search and haven't found anything. I'm a non us citizen but a green card holder, how do I obtain a us passport besides becoming a us citizen. Going to travel to japan soon and I won't have enough time 2 become a us citizen. Any help would be greatly appreciated

F-1 to Green Card [ 2 Answers ]

I'm studying my MBA with the F-1 Visa status in the US. Is it possible for a US established company to hire me changing my status to a permanent resident (green card)? I already finished another academic Masters of Arts in the US. I'm still working on my MBA. Thank you!

Old greek passport, green card application [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, So I am a greek citizen married to a US citizen. My green card interview is coming up soon but I have not gotten the new greek passport yet (nor will I have it until the interviw). My passport is not expiring any time soon but my understanding is that it is invalid since jan 2007 (when...

View more questions Search