Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

May 6, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Suggestions for a small tree in Zone 5
    I live in Zone 5, and I am looking for a small (Under 10' tall) ornamental tree for my front yard. I do not want a large bush or anything that takes too much care. I would like it to be the feature plant for my foundation garden. The area I would like to place the tree is full sun and can be windy. I'd like something that flowers in the spring. Any suggestions?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 6, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Lilac trees are really nice samll ornamental trees. It is always a good idea to go to a local nursery and ask them what grows best in your area and soil. I'm sure they would be happy to help you.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Dog wood. It takes them a long time to get large and in the spring they have really pretty blooms in the fall they have red berries. You can choose from pink or white blooming trees. My mom has one that is over 50 years old and it is not over 10 ft tall.
    plantnut3380 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Check with your local nursery. I think the Camelot series of Crabapple is a smaller variety. Only problem with having a Crabapple would be if the fruit would drop onto a walk, drive or patio. Also, a couple of the flowering plums stay small but some of them produce a good crop of plums -- small but great for jam. If you'd be happy with tiny flowers, Prunus cistena (Sand Cherry) makes a nice small tree if pruned into tree form. Doesn't produce fruit, has a drifting of tiny pinkish-white flowers in the spring and maroon foliage during growing season. It's a good substitute for Japanese Maple when you have a hot, sunny location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 12' healthy ficus tree is dying.How do I save my tree? [ 0 Answers ]

My Ficus tree were plant in my garden on a slopne for about a year. It doing very well. All the sudden the last two week couple of branches with the leafs start curling, turning yellow or brown and then fall off the branch. I cut of those two branches, now another branch, the leafs start doing the...

2 zone oil heat, 2nd zone runs 1st zone [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 2 zone oil burner. The 1st zone (upstairs) runs separately and works no problem. The 2nd zone(basment), when we try to run 2nd zone separately , it seems to run zone 1(upstairs) and the baseboard heating upstairs gets hot and heats zone 1 even thought we have the t-stat set low...

How to get rid of tree roots after you cut the tree [ 1 Answers ]

We cut down some mesquite trees a few months ago. We would like to know how we could get the stumps to rot away. They are cut ground level. Do you have any suggestions.

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree?

How do I conduct a small experiment about the dead zone. [ 1 Answers ]

How can I conduct an experiment to test the hypothesis that nitrogen and phosphorus cause the dead zone. It can be a very small one. Thank you

View more questions Search