Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 30, 2008, 09:37 AM
    IntlTax:

I disagree, though I AM making an assumption in my explanation below, that assumption being that PK123 filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ as an H-1B visa holder in a tax year previous to 2007. If so, then the IRS DOES consider him/her to be a U.S. resident for tax purposes by virtue of the fact that he/she filed that prior-year resident tax return.

Further, even if PK123 never filed the resident tax return, the IRS will ASSUME, by virtue of the fact that PK123 has a H-1B visa, that he is a resident alien if the H-1B visa was effective prior to 1 January 2007.

In other words, PK123 will have to make the case that he/she has NOT met the Substantial Presence Test in order to avoid taxation on his/her 2007 salary.

If he/she met the test prior to 2007 by filing a resident alien return, he/she remains liable for all world-wide income in all subsequent years irrespective of his/her physical location for the duration of his/her H-1B visa unless and until he/she formally revokes/abandons the H-1B visa.

Just my humble opinion...
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

May 30, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Do you have any citation to the IRC or to an IRS publication as to why an alien that does not have a green card and is not present in the U.S. on any day during the calendar year would be considered a resident alien?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 09:55 PM
    No, I do not.
    pk123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Hi IntlTax,

Thanks for your helpful advice. Let me put some information that I got from my friend who is not paying any tax and working as me in an international organization outside USA. He
    Showed me his W2 form for 2007 and it does not show his salary on his w2 form so he files
    1040 showing his salary is zero ( or minimal whatever ). Since his w2 form does not show his salary as USA income, he did not pay any tax (FICA) on his salary. I am not expert but
    I have one question why his salary is not shown on his w2 from?

I hope this information will be helpful in explaining why he does not pay any though he is on H1B. He is not alone but here there are many people like this.

Regards,

PK
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 08:09 AM
    If he has no salary reported in Box 1, but is still getting a W-2, it is probably because he has to file a STATE tax return.

Most states do NOT honor tax treaty provisions that exempts salaries from federal income taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Painting Cabinets - Oil based or Water based? [ 1 Answers ]

Going to be painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. I heard that oil based paint would be best, but don't want to deal with the extra mess. Is there anything wrong with using a good acrylic enamel?

Home Based [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a business/job that you can do from your home with out costing an arm and leg to just to start? I don't want to make $1ooo's per week I know that is not real but I know you can make money from home and that there are a lot of companies that use home based people. I would like...

Holder in due course [ 2 Answers ]

Gave a company a post dated check They without my knowledge gave the check to another company, telling the company that the check is post dated because the goods were not delivered. The original company went bankrupt and the endorsed company tried cashing the check3 months after the dated check....

H1-b holder [ 1 Answers ]

My status was recently changed from G-5 visa to H1-b holder. I ask my lawyer if I could go home (Philippines) with my current status and she said it's not a good idea because I may not able to come back. Is it true? I really want to go home but I am also afraid that all the hardwork that I've...

View more questions Search