Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

May 6, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Neighbors dogs abused!
    Me and my daughter were taking a walk and we passed a near by house that had 2 dogs that were skin and bones, It was strange because we had never seen them out side before.
    We called animal abuse and asked them to ck it out.
    After that some time went by and we only seen 1 dog outside and it looked still skin and bones. We called again. We found out later that they found 1 dog dead tied up in the garage and they took away the other. I heard from a diff neighbor that she had said that
    She was feeding them but they would not gain weight and the only thing it could be is that she was feeding them generic dog food.
    It makes me so sad and MAD I just don't get it I wish they would have taken the dogs before 1 lost its life. I heard that they gave her ideas to help them gain and was giving her another chance.
    2C_is2believe Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2008, 08:23 AM
    That is so SAD...

I commend you for at least calling animal control. Sometimes the result is positive, sometimes it is not. It is like when a child is abused, you never know what they are going to find once they start investigating. However, if they found a dead dog on the premises, I was under the impression that they would take all animals away. Guess not??

Try not to worry yourself so much, and maybe at night you could sneak some food into the yard. Couldn't hurt. Good luck.

May 6, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Well they did take the other dog after they found the 1 in the garage. After we called the second time seeing that therte was only 1 in the yard now and it was still skinny.
    I wonder if generic dog food could really do this and if so why wouldent she change food?
    I don't know but I see her out in the yard sometimes and I just want to scream at her.
    I see her talking to other neighbors and I don't understand how any 1 would even speak to her.
    We have a dog that we saved from a abuse situation {a whole diff story }
    And she is the sweetest dog I have ever had, it seems like she knows how good she has it now and is so thankfull.

May 6, 2008, 08:42 AM
    This is her pic. Im not sure what she is. The vet called her english bull. But a lot of people say she is a bull boxer.
    If any one can tell what they think she is please comment.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
    This is why I think they allowed her to keep the dog.
    In a city near by a man had put a chain on a white gs dogs neck and it grew into the neck. Animal control took the dog away and they operated on it and removed the chain. The people swore that they had no idea it was growing into the dogs neck, and they wanted their dog back.

When they went to court the judge gave the dog back and required them to fence in the yard, pay the medical and animal was to check up on the dog every so often.

Well the good people here raised hell and took the judge to task over why he allowed it. He said that while he did have grounds to remove the dog, that he could not order the man to never get another dog and he feared that he would just get another one and it would end up in the same shape or worse. If he allowed him to have his dog back then he had the law behind him as far as checking up on the dogs well being.

Last week it was reported on the news that the owner was due in court, animal control was called because the dog was in the yard with no food and no water.

They have to follow the laws.

I have had mistreated dog open up gates, break chains, and chew into ropes and follow me home.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I know bushg, it is amazing how abused animals can do that, I remember a few that did the same.
    Also the really bad part is most animinal controls that take these animals end up putting them to sleep in a couple of weeks since they won't be adopted.

Now on the food, that is all my dogs ate for years, Or the cheapest dollar store brand, and they were fat and happy, it also depends on how much they get to eat and if they have some other medical problem.

And one issue is that most dog laws are city laws, in some areas except for very vague state laws on abuse, there is little or no laws protecting animals.
    sir ather3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Hey as an anamal lover myself I agree anamals deserve better care than humans. You could give anamal controle an other call. The other and more risky possability is to slipp good food to them through the fence to by them time.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 7, 2008, 02:38 AM
    That story just made me cry... that's so sad! :( I just don't understand why people like that even get animals, or why they are allowed to keep them.

Bushg, isn't that just pathetic that the judge was forced to give that poor hurting dog back to be in that abusive situation yet one more time! Makes me want to scream!

I sitting here looking at my little fur babe right now, and I just can't imagine! She was attacked on Saturday night by an Akita. She is in so much pain, and doesn't even seem like herself anymore. She had to have her fur shaved and has 86 stitches, and will likely have problems... physical and emotional for a very long time. Just the look in her big brown eyes just breaks my heart!

The owner of the Akita is being totally cold hearted and refused to take any of my calls. I have extensive vet bills and the amount is climbing, which I can't afford, but I would do anything necessary to care for her. I don't blame this on the Akita. They are a dangerous breed, and without a responsible owner to train them properly, they can do serious harm. The owner is 100% responsible!

I think abusive pet owners should be treated the same as if they were abusing a human, and the only thing worse is that the dogs can't stand up and speak for themselves. :(
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Star, I agree with you. I wish we had stiffer laws. I am so sorry for your baby. I hope she gets OK. Stories like yours makes me weary about walking my little dogs. Concerning the owner he would see me in court.

We had an incident here last week where a pit jumped a fence and went after a toy poodle , the lady which was older grabbed her dog up in her arms and the pit just snatched it out of her arms and killed it. Of course the owners said that it was totally out of character for the dog, which I don't believe. People know when they have a dog with aggression problems, they just choose to ignore it.

May 7, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I am sorry for your dog star, a friend of mine once had an old collie mix and a pit came in her yard and attacked him, he died a week later. She called police and they fined him,
    But was allowed to keep the dog and he still gets loose. She has a small child and worries when he's out playing. She even went to his house and told him and he said the dog never bit a person before and that her dog must have been aggressive because it had never bittten another dog before hers! I have nothing against pit bulls but if I owned one I would always keep in mind that there can always be a first time and with this breed it can be deadly. Personally I would not own a breed that is known for aggressive behavior.
    Any way back to the subject, I have not seen any other dogs at that house and hopefully nrver do. I heard that she was not allowed to ever own a dog again and that she had to go to court.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 7, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Thank you very much Treeny! I feel so sorry for the dominant aggressive breeds that aren't trained correctly and attack, and then the owners try to blame it on the fault of the dog or owner that was just minding their own business.

I'm sooooo glad that you haven't seen any other dogs around that house, and I sure hope they get charged with abuse causing death, among other other things. Urrrrrr!

Thank God for people like you that keep their eyes open for the animals that don't have a voice! Thumbs up to you! :D
    Shanni4 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Hi I'm Treenys friend with the old collie. Out in the country where we live very few people lock their dogs up. The pit bull that attacked my dog which was by the way about 15 years old attacked him in my yard right outside my kitchen door. He lived about 3 houses down. He dragged that poor dog in circles by the neck with my other dog barking at him. I tried to throw things at him. It didn't work. Finally my son came out and put the hose on him and he left. After I took him to the vet. I walked the street and found out where he lived. The owner didn't believe me. I gave him the bill and he had to come over and see for himself. I called the police and he told me to run the dog over if he was in the street. Well he paid the bill and after the second time we haven't seen him again. Bear the collie was never the same after that. He was confused and just pitiful. He would stare at the walls and we knew the end was near. He died a month later. My kids found him in the road a few years ago. He was flea ridden. But so lovable. We cleaned him up and found the owner. He gave him to us when I told him my kids were attached to him. The owner of the pit bull was lucky I didn't sue him.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 10, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanni4
    Hi I'm Treenys friend with the old collie. Out in the country where we live very few people lock their dogs up. The pit bull that attacked my dog which was by the way about 15 years old attacked him in my yard right outside my kitchen door. He lived about 3 houses down. He dragged that poor dog in circles by the neck with my other dog barking at him. I tried to throw things at him. It didn't work. finally my son came out and put the hose on him and he left. After I took him to the vet. I walked the street and found out where he lived. The owner didn't believe me. I gave him the bill and he had to come over and see for himself. I called the police and he told me to run the dog over if he was in the street. Well he paid the bill and after the second time we haven't seen him again. Bear the collie was never the same after that. He was confused and just pitiful. He would stare at the walls and we knew the end was near. He died a month later. My kids found him in the road a few years ago. He was flea ridden. But so lovable. We cleaned him up and found the owner. He gave him to us when I told him my kids were attached to him. The owner of the pit bull was lucky I didn't sue him.
    I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to Bear. I, once upon a time, had a Collie cross named Bear who died of natural causes at about 13. That was hard enough, and I can't even imagine having a dog die because of some irresponsible vicious dog owner.

My fur babe is still trying to heal from her injuries, and I hope with extra love she will get better not only physically. But emotionally. I saw a few tiny signs of her being her old self just today! :) It's only been a week to the day that she was attacked by the Akita, so I know that's not very long, to expect very much at this point.

I can't believe that cop told your to run down the other dog in the road though. It's the irresponsibility of the owner, and if anything he should've have been the one that was run down (figuratively, not literally) You should've sued! Sometimes that the only way to wake these people up! I sure hope Michael Vick is sitting in his prison cell right now thinking really hard about what he did to many innocent dogs.

I am going to have to end up suing for my vet bills, and the owner of the Akita is going to be very sorry that he didn't just stand up and pay from the start, because I'm going to go for pain and suffering, and neglegence also!
    Shanni4 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Hi Star Thanks for your compassion. I'm sorry to hear of your dog attack. I wish I would have sued. But I just didn't feel like fighting. Now if it was one of my kids that's a different story. I'm also not calling him anymore when his dog is in my yard. I'm just going to call the police. We haven't seen him in a while though. They have a collar on him so he can only go a certain distance. The last time I had to call him he was kind of arrogant. He was telling me that his dog isn't aggressive and likes people and wouldn't hurt anyone. He has a little child too. And I told him " did you see the bites on my dog???"
    You came over and saw all the blood on my deck are you blind? He paid me for the vet bill. So he knows his dog attacked. OK I'm getting madder now. I wish I sued! I glad to hear that you are suing.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    I am going to have to end up suing for my vet bills, and the owner of the Akita is going to be very sorry that he didn't just stand up and pay from the start, because I'm going to go for pain and suffering, and neglegence also!
    You can't sue for pain and suffering. Pets are property. The law doesn't consider pain and suffering in property or contract cases. Sorry, but that's the legal realities. You may be able to accuse the owner of negligence, but that wouldn't increase the amount that you can sue for. It would be the grounds on which you were awarded the compensation, instead of it being a comparable liability case.

And, of course, there is always the problem of getting the money after you have the judgement.

Not saying that you shouldn't do this... just be prepared for the real possibility that you go through it all and still wind up without a cent.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    You can't sue for pain and suffering. Pets are property. The law doesn't consider pain and suffering in property or contract cases. Sorry, but that's the legal realities. You may be able to accuse the owner of negligence, but that wouldn't increase the amount that you can sue for. It would be the grounds on which you were awarded the compensation, instead of it being a comparable liability case.

And, of course, there is always the problem of getting the money after you have the judgement.

Not saying that you shouldn't do this... just be prepared for the real possibility that you go through it all and still wind up without a cent.
    Thanks Froggy! I did think about what I said after I wrote it. I'm just so damn mad that my so-called friend for yrs now is not only sticking up for her boyfriend, but not speaking to me. I didn't do anything wrong but show up for her B'day party to begin with.

I'm also very aware of our very flawed legal system, as I was assaulted, and spent 15 months waiting for it to go to trial, only for the prosecutor to offer a plea bargain, and the attacker walking away with a fine. I swore I would never take anyone to court or press any chrgs again because it just isn't worth all of the grief. I also know you can't get blood out of a stone. It's just very heartbreaking to watch my poor little girl suffer like this. :(
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Well... I have learned that what might look like mental distress to us may be the dog's way of showing physical pain. My poor Trink would just stop and shake on her walks, and I put it down to being scared, but now that I know that she has a neck issue, I'm thinking that was her way of saying that she just hurt too much to move more. So, as your baby gets over the stitches and things heal up, a lot of her current symptoms should fade. It'll take time, but dogs get past this sort of thing a lot easier than we do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Was I sexually abused? [ 13 Answers ]

When I was about 13 or 14 years old a male cousin who is nine years older than me fondled me. I really struggle with was I molested. I know that age of consent in my state is 16, but I feel guilty because I just laid there and did not fight back. I now have anxiety issues and no libido with my...

Like being abused [ 8 Answers ]

Yea so I'm trying to figure out why I like when my girlfriend hits me and hurts me both physically and mentally like calling me names like insulting me and I don't know its just hot to me and she wants to know why but I don't know either just wondering I anyone has some helpful suggestions

Boyfriend was abused [ 6 Answers ]

My new boyfriend was abused by his father growing up. We have only been together as a couple a short time, but have know each other since we were children. We have always have been close friends-went to school together, partied together, and such. Anyway sometimes when he drinks he get upset...

Sexually abused [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend was sexually abused when he was young and now he seems to think that its his fault. He hasn't talked to anyone about it. How do I help him?:confused:

Can the Internet be abused? [ 8 Answers ]

One of the great things about the internet today,is that anyone anywhere can get their message across to others,no matter who they are,or where they are.Apart from a few repressive areas of the world,most of us with web access can look up the news,info,music,movies,even those awful jpegs of Aunt...

View more questions Search