Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris442010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Problem with my music files
    Yesterday I was on my computer and I upgraded my RealPlayer. I don't know if this is what caused it, but all of my music files(even though they were and still play in Windows media player by default) had the suffix .mp3 added to their filename. Now, when I change the name of a file, it changes the file type from mp3 to unknown. Why is this happening? Anyone follow what I'm saying?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Does the same thing happen if you change the file name at it's actual location on your computer?

Feb 21, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Yes, that is where I am changing the name at.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Sounds to me like you have disabled "hide extensions for known file types" setting in folder options. This means that you can now see the .mp3 suffix on all your filenames. When you rename any files, if you don't put that .mp3 filename back on they will not be identified as music files (although from within media player they will probably still work)

To solve this problem either re enable the "hide extensions for known file types" setting:

Open "My computer"
    Click the "tools" menu & choose "Folder Options"
    Click the "View" tab and put a tick back in the "hide extensions for known file types" check box.

Or you can simply start putting .mp3 at the end of all your music filenames. I would suggest the former option:)

Feb 21, 2006, 07:44 PM
    That's exactly what was going on. Thanks so much... it was really driving me insane. No more .mp3 on all my files.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sending music files over the net using websites.. [ 0 Answers ]

Hey everyone I just registered because I could really use some help. When I want to send a file over the net, a music file I use this site www.yousendit.com but I don’t think its working all that well anymore because I asked a friend of mine to send me a file using this site and the file was sent...

How do you save music files to your PC? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I recently got a new phone that I can download songs onto. The program I can use to do so is Nokia PC Suite (I think), and in order to get songs is to get them from your music file list. I use LimeWire to listen to most of my music... but for some reason whenever I try to download the songs...

Problem reading files [ 16 Answers ]

I have a problem reading files, the document is saying it is empty, but when I click on the document I can see my file but I can not open it, nor copy, delete or move it! It is only on about 10 files (the most important ones on the PC) the files are wmv, avi and mpg. I can in fact read other...

Copying and pasting music files... [ 5 Answers ]

I ripped all of my music to my hard drive some time ago and windows media player put all of the music into folders by group\album'song name'.wma Now I'm trying to put all of my songs into folders according to my idea of genre. So I cut all of the tracks from all of the folders and oasted them...

Sharing Music Files [ 14 Answers ]

I am new to the world of sharing music files. I recently subscribed to a music file sharing service for around US$25 for two years. The quality of files downloaded so far is excellent. The question is, is sharing of music files still legal? The recording companies and musical artists would...

View more questions Search