Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donnakay33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Removing spouse from home legally
    My husband for years have been very abusive not only to me but to my children from a previous marriage. Here lately he has become more emotionally abusive by screaming at all of us at the top of his lungs. I was stupid for not reporting his abuse to the police although some of my church members and pastor know of it. Now Im ready for him to leave and he won't. He says its his home also. Comes my question... I purchased my house from my dad and the house is in my name only and not with my spouses name. Legally, can I make him leave without having to file for a PFA against him? I was told I would have to give him a 30 days eviction notice. Please provide any info possible to help me start this process of the divorce to rid myself and my children from his harmful abuse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 03:08 PM
    No, you will have to file for divorce and get a order from the court.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Call his bluff and go for a divorce and any and all court orders you can.
    He wants you to feel intimidated to not do anything.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
    You can't just evict him. If it was that easy a lot of husbands and wives would be kicked out yesterday! File for divorce and ask the judge to order him to leave. Too bad you didn't call the cops when you had the chance as it would have made this easier for the court to say to him to leave. You will have to have the friends and pastor testify in court on your behalf.
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
    I am not a fan of a restraining order, esp if there is no threats or danger.
    A restraining order can come back to hurt a person esp if they are looking latter for a law enforcement position or something with a national security clearance. Orders of Protection and restraining orders, should be gotten if there the other person is doing the things required, but for to often one side or the other will get one when it is not really needed and it can seriously hurt the employment of the other person latter.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 05:21 PM
    But Chuck, she has already said that this is an abusive relationship. What's to say that he will not take this abusiveness to a higher level. And if he is this abusive at home I sure would not want him working as a police or some other high stress job in National security.
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 06:21 PM
    I know and I am not saying this is not true, but I always take one side of the story carefully, I listened to my neighbor last week, she cursed this poor man out like I would not believe, I thiink threw a few things at him, I did not hear him even raise his voice. He merely got into his car and left, She called the police and was telling the officer how he threw things at her, how he was screaming and wanted to press charges on the man.
    With some of the new laws in our state, if there is a sign of domestic violence the officer has a obligation to arrest someone ( or fill out a long lists of forms and take personal liablity if some future harm is done to one of them latter that day)
    So guess what this man who did nothing was latter given matching braclets and had to post bail to get out of jail.
    So as I noted if there is really harm and threats I do agree with it, but I see this misused far to many times in our court systems today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PA removing resident from home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My parents allowed by brother's girlfriend to move in to their home after her parents kicked her out. When she moved in about a year ago it was suppose to be temporary. She was supposed to be out in Dec/07 but she lost her job. My parents have given her until April 10 to move out they...

Removing a roommate from your home (that you own) [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Florida, and I own my home. I have a room mate that REFUSES to move out, although I have told the person many times I would like for them to leave. They tell me that I will have to have them legally removed from my home. WHat do I do to have this person removed? Although I would like...

How To Legally Remove Adult Son from Home [ 3 Answers ]

My 37 year old adult son has been at my ex-wifes house for over a year. He does not pay rent, does not have a job and has a warrant for his arrest on a DUI charge from 2 years ago. He lost custody of his 3 children who are living with their maternal grandparents. He owes more than $40,000 in...

How do we go abut getting our son legally adopted by my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is chrstina and I am married to a man who would like to adopt my son and we would like to know hoe it is that we should go about that

Removing a caregiver out of your home [ 2 Answers ]

I am the caregiver to my mother in my home. I have hired a woman to help with my mothers care in exchange for free room and board. She has been here for 2 months and it is not working out. She was not honest in her interview about her habits, and continues to break rules that were talked about. ...

View more questions Search