Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seralu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Roomates pet
    If a roommates pet scratches up your furniture to the point of needing reupholstered. Is your roommate 100% liable for costs?
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 02:08 PM
    I'm going to take a crack at this one and give my opinion... I would think that your roommate would not be liable for the costs especially if you both made the agreement that a pet would be OK in the house, etc. My opinion though!
    AndMadMan Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 02:18 PM
    You would have to review your contract with the roommate. I doubt that most rental contracts would cover this situation and if it is not specifically cited in the contract, you probably have little recourse. If it was your property and rental, you may be able to claim the security deposit for damages caused by the pet if there was a pet clause.

Your roommate should step up and do the honorable thing to repair your furniture, or at least help in the cost of repairs. For now, I would insist that steps be taken to prevent further damage. You might start looking for a new roommate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sex with your roomates ex? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in a dilemma... that I caused myself. I've had sex with one person and it was my best friends roommate. Only once.. because I realized I didn't love him. Quite a while later me and my best friend of four years got blown out of our mind and decided to have sex... random but I think I had been...

Three roomates 2 issues [ 2 Answers ]

My friend was living in a 3 beedroom house and her lease was up for the year and needed 2 new roomates. My other friend and I decided to move in and we all signed a new lease. 4 months into the leas the original roommate decided to move out and went to a different city leaving myself and one other...

Roomates right [ 1 Answers ]

I hve lived with my friend who is on the lease now for almost a year there are no signed documents for me being here but I have had my mail sent here for almost a year.Does that make me a legal tenant and do they still have to follow the laws of eviction?

Disagreements between roomates [ 1 Answers ]

My name is trevor mcdonald, I live in Kitchener, Ontario. My question is, if my roommate and I get into a fight and one of us wants to move out and the other doesn't because he can not afford it, and also cannot afford to pay the full amount by himself, and there is still 7 months on the lease. ...

Roomates [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved out of my parents house and moved in with my boyfriend and two other roommates. All four of us signed a 6 months lease. My two roommates had a disagreement and decided to break up. My one male roommate moved out and signed the paper to release him from the lease. My female...

View more questions Search