Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gskpbond Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Online Business
    Do I need a license to start an online business? How do I proceed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 5, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Depends on the business.
    gskpbond Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 12:47 PM
    My sister wants to start a business online selling vases. Does she need a license to sell?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Yes if they are in business, they should have a business license.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 5, 2008, 03:41 PM
    This also depends on your locality, but generally, there is no need for a license to setup an Internet store.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 09:02 PM
    If she is in the U.S. so much of this does depend on her location, how much she will be selling, if she will be selling from just a single website and whether she will be selling out of the boundaries of her home state or not.

It could be that the only "license" she might need would be the fees paid to purchase a domain name if she wants to be the owner of a domain. There are also plenty of sites where you can set up a website for free in order to sell things. There are also a whole bunch of classified sites where a person can place ads for free.

The Internet is still a highly unregulated territory. People sell and purchase things using it all of the time. If she is to be selling things from a single site, it would be best to be checking with the laws concerning licensure and taxes where she is living. The fees may be very minimal just to protect yourself from the government because of not following the rules.

I know a guy who made made his entire living for a number of months selling costume jewelry on eBay. He was shipping them to people all over the world. Did he have a license to sell things on eBay or via the Internet in general. No. Did the IRS know about his activities? No. Would the IRS have some definite interest and concern with his activities selling things on the Internet? You bet they would!

Best to be safe before being sorry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Online business [ 1 Answers ]

I have to do an e commerce project ( online business) and its merits and demerits. Which product would be more suitable with higher profit margin?

Online business [ 5 Answers ]

I read some questions about online business. Actually I am also thinking for some online business, but I think there is no free online business(I mean without spending money). There is data entry which I think can be done from home through internet. I tried Google search but always end up with...

How can I do a business online? [ 5 Answers ]

I need to make a business online

Online business without investments [ 7 Answers ]

I want to start a online business but I am not having any money to invest

View more questions Search