Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Feline Neutering ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc.

The article above will give you details as well as the health benefits of having it done.
    I have had many animals spayed and neutered. They may be a little sore for a few days.
    It really helps to extend their life and make it a more peacful one.
    Emeline Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2008, 12:41 AM
    Thank you very much, bushg !
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

May 12, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Emeline,

Neutering means fixing the kitty surgically so it cannot have babies. It keeps the males from spraying in your house and from straying off.

It also keeps down the unwanted kitten population.

I have two black kitties and after losing a couple at different times I not only have them fixed, but I had their front claws removed so they cannot jump over the fence and get into the traffic. They mostly are in the house anyway, but like to go out in the yard sometimes.

It does not hurt the kitty much and is a responsible act for the pet owner.

Shirley
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Emeline, I do not advocate having their claws removed. While some cats tolerate it well, some cats have severe mental or physical anguish from having it done. I have known cats that have suffered from damaged nerves in their front paws, making them so sensitive that they will not walk on concrete or bare floors.

I have also seen peoples living situations change and that once indoor kitty becomes an outdoor kitty that now has only its back claws to defend itself with. Not really a good defense when fighting something with all of its claws. Not to mention it makes it virtually defenseless when fighting off something other than a cat.

May 12, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Removing front claws is not for everyone, but for city dwellers it is an option.

My kitties suffered no ill effects and were up and about in a couple of days. They spend the weekends at our mountain cabin and do not have problems catching mice and birds without their front claws.

My motive was even larger as my grandaughter loves the kitties but has spina bifida and does not feel her legs. If she gets scratches it takes weeks to heal as there is no blood flow to that part of the body so since she is at my house a lot I did not want the kitties to scratch her with their front claws. They never do scratch with their back claws.

They are bathed once a month and have regular visits to the Vet to be checked out and have flea and tick treatments. Believe me these cats are big healthy cats.

I saved both of them from a farm and Lucky was only 1.4 pounds when I got her, now she weights over 9 pounds and is 3 years old. The Vet didn't think she would live, but she is very playful and healthy now.

Just depends on your life style and circumstances.

Shirley

May 12, 2008, 08:31 AM
    I think I will neutering them but I'll never ask the vett to remove their claws. I don't like this idea at all.

I think that I'll name the cat that seems to have a black lipstick : "Lucky" and the other one "Tiggy".
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jun 30, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Kristi and kari

Jul 1, 2008, 03:17 AM
    I name them Tiggy (the darker one) and Lucky (the one with the black lipstick).

I brang them back home on May, 24th. They were healthy, happy, full of life.

Unfortunately, Lucky got stranggled on June, 6th and died. I'm so sad. His brother goes well but feels lonely.

Jul 1, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Emeline.

So sorry about your kitty Lucky. I don't know what I would do without my kitty Lucky she is my best friend. Just love Tiggy a little more.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

New kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a 2 months old kitten and I would like to have some infos and advices about cat.. Is it OK to bathe him?. feed him from our food and meals? How much time does he need to get used to his name? I'm calling him NIMO, but he isn't responding to the name till now.. I would appriciate...

New kitten [ 10 Answers ]

I'm getting a new kitten, I don't have any other cays but I do have to dogs, I was wondering if I should get a girl, or boy kitten. Im not going ot get it neutered, and its not going to bew aloud outside. I want it to be calm and socialanble which gender of cat is more like this?

New Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to get a new kitten, but I am worried about our space. I live upstairs at my house and I was wondering if you had any ideas how to keep my kitten from attempting to climb down the stairs outside my door.

Kitten help [ 2 Answers ]

Kittens in dire need of help!! Hello all,I am a first timer to this page.So I wasn't sure what catergory to put this under.I am a foster mommy to a beautiful cat who just recently had kittens last month.Before hand I didn't have fleas in my house and now I do,and they are on my kittens and I am...

View more questions Search