Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wizy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Water pressure/flow rate
    Can water pressure be estimated from flow rate from a known size of pipe. I`m in the UK so metric units would be best for me

Many thanks Michael
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Wizy:

I just asked Capuchin to drop in...

I believe capuchin is expert over in Mathematics... also from UK, I think..? Should be able to resolve your question... good luck.

Give Capuchin some time to get to your post... Mark
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Pressure only depends on the height of water.

Hydrostatic Pressure in a liquid

This page explains it quite well.

If you have no way to measure the height of your system, then you'll have to give me some time to look into how the pressure affects the flow rate - or hopefully one of the other experts can help - I'm a little busy at this time of year.

Mark, for your information, I'm a science expert - specifically physics, which regrettably means I need to know some math ;)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Duly noted Cap!

Thanks for popping in... Mark
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 05:23 PM
    This one ought to be interesting. Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you simply put on a valve and pressure gauge?

May 9, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Pressure only depends on the height of water.

Hydrostatic Pressure in a liquid

This page explains it quite well.

If you have no way to measure the height of your system, then you'll have to give me some time to look into how the pressure affects the flow rate - or hopefully one of the other experts can help - I'm a little busy at this time of year.

Mark, for your information, I'm a science expert - specifically physics, which regrettably means I need to know some math ;)
    Capuchin Thanks for the reply My problem is with the mains cold feed so not possible to measure the head of water. The link page looks interesting, I'm busy to so going to take me a while to wade through the information

May 9, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe
    This one ought to be interesting. Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you simply put on a valve and pressure gauge?

jlisenbe Thanks for the reply The quick answer is I haven't got a pressure gage!!

I feel pressure, flow rate/pipe size, volume and time must be linked if you have any 3 the 4th could be calculated?
    It would be a simple matter to measure an amount of water into a container over a set time the pipe size being known the volume of water being driven by the pressure? i.e. the unknown quatity
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Let us know how it works out. Sounds interesting.
    Nhan123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wizy View Post
    jlisenbe Thanks for the reply The quick answer is I haven't got a pressure gage!!!

I feel pressure, flow rate/pipe size, volume and time must be linked if you have any 3 the 4th could be calculated?
    It would be a simple matter to measure an amount of water into a container over a set time the pipe size being known the volume of water being driven by the pressure? ie the unknown quatity

Mathematically: Flow (L/m) = Pressure (psi) * Resistance

Now you'll need to determine the Resistance of your pipe. The
    Resistance is a function of the pipe's internal diameter (ID) times its length (m).

Do you still want to continue setting up this mathematical formula on or to buy a pressure gauge for $10.00? :)

p.s.: I think you still need to know your pipe's Resistance in your volume & time idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water flow rate for a given pressure [ 3 Answers ]

For a one half inch cooper pipe, what is the flow rate with a water pressure of 55 pounds per square inch?

Troubleshooting Water Well Pressure/ Flow [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and we are totally remodeling now I'm doing the plumbing we are going to have two full baths and 1 quarter bath/laundry. My problem is that after I got the bath/laundry every thing seemed fine then I installed all new every thing in the bath hooked up the water and no water...

Low pressure/flow well water [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new house in CT. It has well water and I have always had city water. The pressure seems real low at some of the faucets- mostly the kitchen sink and tub faucet. The "pump" pressure ranges from 40 to 60 psi. The builder said the well is capable to 10 (gpm?) but the pump is rated for...

80 llb pressure but 2 gpm flow rate [ 2 Answers ]

Incoming water pressure is at 80 pounds. Infrastructure has had locked air problems in the past; but seems to be OK now. All tubs, sinks, etc. has a very low flow rate. Measured at 1 gallon every 30 seconds. In the morning, the flow rate is much higher - about 5 gal per minute but if you fill...

No Water Pressure after restoring water flow [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My faucet handle broke in the on position, so I turned the water valve off. I was gone about 12 hours, replaced the faucet handle, and then turned on the water but there is no pressure in any faucet/sink. Is there something I can do, or do I need to call a plumber to restore the...

View more questions Search