Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

May 5, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Making my own baby food
    I am planning on making my own baby food and so far I only know how to make carrots and peas. How do I make sweet potatoes and fruit? He is going to start rice cereal today which is pretty exciting, but I just want to get started on making everything and freezing it so I can have everything ready when he's ready and so I'm not doing it all last minute. So any advice, experiences, or websites would be appreciated. Thanks.:D
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Hello Becca!

Congrats with your little one making his next step with food!

Here is a site that can help you:

Make Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Solid Food Baby Tips, Baby Nutrition & more!
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

May 5, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Did you start with rice cereal or oatmeal? Or both? Also what did you do first veggies or fruits? My mother in law said she started with fruits first and her son barely ate veggies. He doesn't even eat veggies now that he is a grown adult... But then my mother said she started me out on veggies andI love veggies... What was your experience with that? What was the first food you started (other then rice or oatmeal).
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Lol I don't have any children but know enough about babies/toddlers to give advice.

I worked at a day care for three years and worked with children aged 3 months to 12 years old.

I believe that you should mix up the rice and oatmeal cereals, just so your child can get accustomed to both. For example: Every other day feed him rice, and the same for oatmeal. Also, add about 1/2 of serving of a fruit in with the cereal.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca1025
    Did you start with rice cereal or oatmeal? Or both? Also what did you do first veggies or fruits? My mother in law said she started with fruits first and her son barely ate veggies. He doesn't even eat veggies now that he is a grown adult.... But then my mother said she started me out on veggies andI love veggies... What was your experience with that? What was the first food you started (other then rice or oatmeal).
    With whatever you start with, best to use one food for several days before introducing any new foods. This allows baby to get used to the taste and texture, and also lets you see if they have any reaction to a food or not.
    Some skip the rice altogether as there is very little nutritional value to it really, but it is often a first food since it is relatively easy to digest. Some chose fruits first as they can eventually be added to the cereals and babies tend to like the sweetness of fruits, but others prefer to start with veggies with the thought that fruit first, being sweeter, may cause baby to balk at taking the veggies.
    Keep in mind, foods are only a compliment to their milk. Milk should be given first, then the solids as milk, whether breastmilk or formula, will be the major source of nutrition in the first year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finger food for 12 month old baby [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12 month old baby boy who used to eat food off a spoon with no worries but two days ago and mind you its only when it comes to dinner he will not eat off a spoon but for breakfast and lunch he will eat off a spoon anyway that's not what's bugging me it just that I don't really no what I...

Wanting to know if baby food is OK for a puppy [ 10 Answers ]

:o Im wanting to know if baby food fruits and veggies are OK to give a puppy as a treat.and if so what ones... also.. I was told by a breeder it was.. but wanted to ask others he is eating dry puppy food (Eukanuba Puppy small bits):)

Food for my baby [ 14 Answers ]

Please give me recipes to feed my 9 month old baby

Baby Food [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old little girl and wanted to know just how much baby Food to feed her at a time. I know to feed her a tablespoon of cereal twice a day but now that she can have baby food also I was just wondering how much she got at a time.

Is it okay to feed baby table food? [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 11 months old and we have been feeding him from the table, eating the same things that we do. He seems to enjoy it and doesn't seem to upset his stomach. Though lately I have noticed his stool having a very foul stench. I can only compare it to a dead animal... :D it really is that...

View more questions Search