Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcheffo Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Recepticals and breakers
    How many receptical can be put on a 20 amp breaker? Also would it be okay to put lampost lights on a breaker that services my basement? The total wattage would be 1055 watt. Thank you, Don
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 07:14 PM
    In residential there is no limit to outlets on a general purpose circuit, however , the commercial code for a 20 amp circuit is 10 outlets max, and is a good commonly used guide.

Sure the basement lighting circuit should be able to handle a 1055 watt load unless the is a freezer or some other appliance using that circuit.

Outside lights are prone to problems because of the elements, and tend to trip out, why loose the basement circuit, be wise to put the outside lights on there own circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ARC fault breakers ? [ 4 Answers ]

I see where the 2005 NEC requires ARC fault breakers on all bedroom circuits,lighting and wall recepticals. It appears that this is for new construction. Would this also apply to rewiring an old house? Thanks in advance. Tom

Arc fault breakers [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring bedrooms and I know that in California the outlets need to be on an arc fault breaker. 2 questions 1. would there be any problem in wiring a couple of recess lights in the bedrooms on the same circuit with the outlets? 2. There is an outlet in the hallway opposite and outlet in...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

It seems so far that our kitchen is wired all on the same circuit. When we use the oven and microwave or the microwave and the toaster oven which is on the other side of the room the breaker trips. That breaker is currently 15amps. Would it be all right to change that breaker to a 25 or 30 amp for...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to up grade the amps going to my garage so I can run my saws and power tools with out dimming my shop lights. I currently have a old style fuse box in the garge feed with 12ga uf cable run off a 20amp circuit breaker in the service panel. My plans are to replace the fuse box with a new...

View more questions Search