Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CristinaX1981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Asbestos in ceiling.
    Hi.

I need an opinion. If you are familiar with the "asbestos in the ceiling" issue, then keep reading (or research it first).

I have been leaving in my current apartment for the past 3 years... and (how ignorant I must have been) I just realized that I have popcorn ceiling in my apartment and that it is know that this type of ceiling contains asbestos. So now I am pissed... at myself for being ignorant... and even more at my landlord for not giving me one piece of warning, notice, something to let me know what I am dealing with. I wish I could just sue her behind.

Can I??
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 10:07 AM
    How old is the apt you are living in? If it was built before 1986 it may contain asbestos in the popcorn ceiling. Don't try to sue unless you are suffering health issues as you will be wasting your time.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
    I agree with Twinkiedoodle
    If you have no harm/damages then you have nothing to sue for.
    If the popcorn ceiling isn't causing problems then it isn't worth doing anything about. With lead and asbestos it is more likely to be harmful if tampered with such as removing it or if it is flaking. Often they say it is safer to just cover it over with something else than to remove it --like with siding.

Diseases from asbestos exposure take a long time to develop. Most cases of lung cancer or asbestosis in asbestos workers occur 15 or more years after initial exposure to asbestos. Tobacco smokers who have been exposed to asbestos have a "far greater-than-additive" risk for lung cancer than do nonsmokers who have been exposed, meaning the risk is greater than the individual risks from asbestos and smoking added together. The time between diagnosis of mesothelioma and the time of initial occupational exposure to asbestos commonly has been 30 years or more. Cases of mesotheliomas have been reported after household exposure of family members of asbestos workers and in individuals without occupational exposure who live close to asbestos mines.
    ATSDR - Asbestos - Health Effects

Have your doctor check your lungs and see if there is any sign of harm.
    Raiyn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 09:15 AM
    I'm a network tech, and I'm around asbestos a lot. Your best, in my opinion, bet would be to cover it up with really thick paint so that no more of it will flake off if any has already. But like said earlyer, be carefule if tamering with it, to prevent inhailing it wear a mask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos in popcorn ceiling? [ 9 Answers ]

Wife wants me to remove popcorn ceiling from our 1956 ranch. Have heard that from this era it may contain asbestos. Have worked with all sorts of nasty stuff and I know usually dangers with stuff like this is usually repeated, long term exposure. Breathe in enough sand or grain dust over time...

Asbestos siding [ 2 Answers ]

We just learned our house has asbestos siding underneath the aluminum siding. It is a 2 story house with full daylight basement, though all areas are not covered with siding. I know this is expensive, but can you give me some range of costs to remove the asbestos please?

Asbestos siding [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an asbestos siding old farmhouse and would like to move it a quarter of a mile down the road to my farm and do extensive remodeling on it. I was wondering if it was safe to move.

Asbestos? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking into replacing my wood siding on my house (Chicago)that was built in 1956. I was going to strip off the old and put some new siding up BUT on further inspection I noticed a drywall type insulation between the plywood and the siding. It's about a 1/2 in thick and it looks like drywall...

View more questions Search