Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BC MAN Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Work place theft
    I am working with a clothing store and in high school, straight A student on honour roll no criminal record and have never been in trouble at school before, recently, my colleagues at work showed me how they make refunds at the till in their bank cards to get money, I was in a situation to help my girlfriend pay rent and so I put a refund from the store to my debit card and within 4 months in an amount of $2800CAD and my boss found out and fired me but gave me one week to pay the amount or will report me to the police and will face criminal charges, I pleaded with her that I have made a stupid mistake and she should give me a payment plan but she refused, I don't have the money to pay in a week plus I don't have a job now, what do I do. What are my rights as to how long she has to give me to pay back. I am only 17, please help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Ok, let me get this straight. You STOLE from your employer and you want to know what rights you have?

Your employer is giving you a break by giving you a chance to repay what you stole instead of calling in the police. She doesn't have to do that. So go to your parents and throw yourself on their mercy to help you repay it.

May 4, 2008, 05:01 PM
    I know but can't I have like 30 days or something to pay but 1 week, how can I pay

May 4, 2008, 05:03 PM
    I have agree to pay the money but I need some payment plan is all I said, have to find a new job to pay
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
    If she is unwilling to allow you a payment plan that's her right. Again, talk to your parents, your girlfriend or whoever andwork out a payment plan with them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2008, 05:16 PM
    First she did not have to give you a chance at all, she could have merely had the police at the store waiting on you or had the police go to your home or school and handcuff you and take you to jail to post bail.

You have no right to even the one week, they are being a lot nicer than any place I know of doing that. Talk to your parents, talk to thie girl friend you were paying the rent for and see who will help you with the money.
    InTheArmsOfGod Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Take it from me, restitution is the best thing for you to do right now. You should have done that immediately. I don't know what kind of employer does not call the cops on you, but consider yourself lucky. Now that's not to say that they still can't. If they have evidence or if you already admitted to it on a written document, then they can pick the phone right up after you pay them back and have you arrested. That's a 2nd degree felony where I'm from and it can carry stiff penalties.

If I were you, I would fess up to my parents and have them meet with your former boss to rectify this situation as easy and as painless as possible. The humiliation alone should be punishment enough. However, if the hammer does come down on you, you have to lawyer up right away and don't say one more word about what you did.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MAN
    I am working with a clothing store and in high school, straight A student on honour roll no criminal record and have never been in trouble at school before, recently, my colleagues at work showed me how they make refunds at the till in their bank cards to get money, i was in a situation to help my girlfriend pay rent and so i put a refund from the store to my debit card and within 4 months in an amount of $2800CAD and my boss found out and fired me but gave me one week to pay the amount or will report me to the police and will face criminal charges, i pleaded with her that I have made a stupid mistake and she should give me a payment plan but she refused, i dont have the money to pay in a week plus I dont have a job now, what do i do. What are my rights as to how long she has to give me to pay back. i am only 17, please help.

You've gotten some good answers here but why do you think she "should" allow you a payment plan? ($2,8000 is more than a "stupid mistake." Was this one transaction or the total of many?)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want a place of my own. [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a 21 year old female living at home with my family. I've gotten to a point where I would like to get out on my own. I love my family and we get along fine, but I'm really starting to feel the need to just get out of here. I know I'm still young, my sister didn't move out until she was 25, but...

Theft at work [ 18 Answers ]

HI I have been accused of stealing money, merchandise and now under a police investigation. What should I do and what are my options if any?

Theft over $5,000 from work [ 1 Answers ]

What can one expect,in Ontario? First and only offence ever.

View more questions Search