Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michkeal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Muriatic acid
    Can I use muriatic acid to clear my shower drain?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 04:02 PM
    No, No, No! Do not use this indoors at any time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2008, 04:12 PM
    A friend of mine used it to clean out debris in his toilet's pipes. He has a septic system and investigated thoroughly before he decided to use muriatic acid. He followed all the precautions and also followed the procedure for his pipe situation, and was very pleased with what happened. Be sure you read up on your situation, Google and perhaps visit the library for information, and follow all the instructions for the acid's use. (You might want to check with a plumber though, if your problem involves hair that has plugged the pipes. Have you tried anything commercial like Drain-o?)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2008, 01:00 PM
    I can not advise against using muratic acid, or any acid, in a enclosed area, such as a rest room, strongly enough. As a young boy I would take limed up toilet bowls out in the alley behind the shop and boil the lime out of them. Over half a century later my lungs still carry the scar tissue that the acid fumes caused. A few years ago I lost a good friend when he used a commercial drain cleaner containing sulfuric acid in a unvented bathroom. Acid IS NOT A GOOD IDEA to use to clear mineral buildup. Take it from one who's paid the price. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Muriatic Acid [ 3 Answers ]

I have got muriatic acid to get rid of efflorescence in my concrete floor, so now I'm just wondering about a safe disposal method after I finish with what I need? Can I pour this down the drain?

Muriatic acid [ 10 Answers ]

What does one do with 3 quarts unused from a gallon container (bought at Sears)? How long can the 3 quarts be stored safely in the plastic container?

View more questions Search