Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmoli50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Riding mower blades go out of sync - hit each other
    I have a 11 HP Craftsman riding mower. It has a 40 inch mow deck with two blades. I have recently worked on the mowing deck - replacing some bearings and the blades. When I put everything back together, I insured the blades were 90 degrees off from each other. After I start the engine and engage the blades, they go out of sync and hit each other. I have taken everything apart more than once to insure I wasn't doing anything wrong - the same thing happens again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The model number is 502 255750.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 10:27 AM
    If the blades are actually hitting one another, they are too long and are the incorrect blades. Now, it is possible that the deck could be warped or bent, allowing the blades to make contact with the deck body.
    SkipB Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2008, 04:46 AM
    I agree with MOWERMAN, timing mower blades ended years ago. Unless your machine is REAL OLD, chances are the blades are too long.
    5060 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 06:09 PM
    If blades measure 20 inches they are too long should only be about 19 5/8 inches
    bobbybb Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2011, 01:05 PM
    I own a john deer that isn't more than three years old and it has timing blades so I don't think you know what you're talking about. Mine hit sometimes too so I have to readjust them to be perpendicular. You can either loosen the belt and spn them or just anker one and pull the other until they are placed right.
    gunwennap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 01:49 PM
    I have a Bolens 15HP Hydro.Used it today for an hour without problems.When I restarted it the blades were catching each other.It has a toothed belt on 2 toothed pulleys on top of the deck which must have jumped a few teeth.Should be a case of simply taking belt off 1 pulley & pulling that blade around until it is 90 degrees to the other blade.I'll try this tomorrow to see if it cures the problem.
    GENESTITHEM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2013, 01:13 AM
    MY Craftsman II ll hp 40” cut twin blades diamond center blades
    Model 502 255750 SR # 3150193

Your blades are suppose to overlap in cutting that is why they are in sink and
    The belt hooking the them together is a notched belt ( like a drive chain in reverse )
    And the pullies on the top of the shaft are notched to fit the belt.

SO if the pullies on the top of the shafts are not slipping and the diamond center blades are fitted on the bottom of the shaft -- it seems improbable that they should be getting out of sink...

Love my OLD first riding mower... Good Luck [email protected]
    Just ordered new blades for mine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blades on riding mower will not work when lever is in operate. [ 4 Answers ]

The lever that spins the blades on poulan riding mower does not operate, why?

Mower Blades won't engage [ 2 Answers ]

When I pull the blade switch on my Craftsman 16.5 hp riding mower, nothing happens. I had this problem previously, and it was the PTO. Since that was a year ago, I really don't think it's that. Recently when the blades wouldn't engage, I checked/wiggled the wiring to the PTO, and the blades did...

Lawn mower blades [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for replacement blades for my Bolen lawn mower 15hp,38"cut.

MTD blades will not engage on riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Lowe's MTD mower. The blades will not engage.

Honda Riding Mower - New Blades [ 5 Answers ]

I recently change the mower blades, now the mower doesn't cut grass, the blades engage and rotate... however they are not cutting or discharging anything..

View more questions Search