Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yesreallynow Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Coworker behind the scenes.
    Hello, I am in the process of training a coworker at my job, for the same position that I have now. In my job, we need more than one of this type of *leadership*

This person who I thought was OK and good for the leadership job has turned out to be a back stabbing trouble maker. I had encouraged her to apply, for I thought she would be good at this. I wanted to help her etc.
    Ok so she finally applies, and gets promoted. YAY! Or so I thought.
    Now it is my job to train this person to do the leadership things we must do.
    Yet I am now finding out that this very person has been going behind my back to my supervisor, saying things that are not true. Like All I do is complain about my job, etc.

I am at odds with this, and do not feel right about any of it.
    Not only has she gone to my supervisor, but has talked to other employees as well about me.

Things I have said, she has twisted to suit her, and make myself look bad, she has going to as far as to say to me, in front of my super, *what can I do FOR YOU NOW?* etc..
    The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that this person is trying to get me either fired, or transferred.

How do I deal with such a toxic person?
    How can I cover my own job and skills, without being obvious?

I love my job, and don't want to allow this person to sabotage it.
    Any help or ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
    There are always people like her in the workplace. I have had it happen to me more times than I care to think about. Pretty soon it's going to be either her or you and she will sure make sure it's her they keep. Anyone who is a compulsive liar and manipulator gets much farther than any honest person any day of the week. Have seen it before. Been there, done that. I know you love your job, etc. but do me a huge favor and start looking around as it sounds like you are soon going to need that other job if Miss Wonderful has HER way. This exact scenerio happened to me last fall. One day I was told that I was being laid off. No warning, no nothing, just bam out the door with unemployment. This person has already done a swell job of sabotage to you whether you can see it or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2008, 05:26 PM
    You have been given the responsibility to train her, so if she was stealing something, or if she was merely throwing some of the days work in the trash, what would you do, "nothing"

So she is showing she does not have good leadership skills, and she is a trouble maker, Is not part of your job training to report her actions and skills to your manager. So report what is going on??

May 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Thank you both for your replies, Yes as I understand I should be most likely looking for another place of employment, I do not think that giving in is the answer right now. If I leave, she wins. If I ask for a transfer, *my company has MANY deffernet options* she wins again. As I also know, it might be that she wins anyway. As far as reporting her, she does this while I'm not there. It has been brought to my attention by another co-worker that this is going on. This person, does nothing but work on the strait up and up in front of me. Yes I have thought about catching her in anything I can. I'm still waiting for that to happen, However, I feel that, if I'm going down, I will drag her with me no problem no quilt.

I wish there was an answer to this problem so that it does not come to that. *sighs*
    What bothers me more, is the fact that my supervisor's should know me better than the person she is claiming me to be. I would think anyway. I just feel so uneasy now at my job, not knowing if when I walk in it will be my last day. :\

Is'nt what she is doing a type of harassment?

Thanks again for your concern and help :) I shall keep you posted.
    shellyjo68 Posts: 100, Reputation: 11

May 4, 2008, 08:37 PM
    I dealt with a similar situation for 8 yrs and it was one of my supervisors! I just took it and hoped the main people would see the truth. Now I don't have a job.

Go to your supervisor ASAP. Keep if professional. Explain that you are questioning her skills in this position and that you are afraid it is effecting the company as a whole.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 12, 2008, 12:12 PM
    You know those people who are otherwise OK but when they get behind the wheel of a car are subject to road rage? This is how she deals with stress, unfortunately for you. I would think since you have been there longer the boss would know who to believe but don't count on it. There is absolutely no good way to stop this that doesn't make you look like the troublemaking person who can't get along with others. You said you recommended her for the position. You have to decide if your job or your friendship is more important... do unto others as you would have them do unto you, whether they appear to deserve it or not. A friend once counseled me, "this is why we call it work. If it was fun they wouldn't need to pay us to show up"
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Yesreallyknow. I believe in meeting things in a head on fashion. "you may try to screw me but you will not do it with me being a silent partner"
    Tell the supervisor that you would like to discuss how everything is going with her and the supervisor... then confront her. Make notes of everything that you have been told that she has said about you. Remind your supervisor of your years with the company, your willingness to train, your over time etc... Let the little witch know that you will meet her head on and not behind her back.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
    If you can't trust your supervisor to see what is happening, then your in the wrong place to begin with. Do your job, and forget her. There are many people who try to get ahead, by making others look bad. The only thing to do is to make a liar of them. Trust me if your co-workers can see it, so can the boss.
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 12, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yesreallynow
    Hello, I am in the process of training a coworker at my job, for the same position that i have now. In my job, we need more than one of this type of *leadership*

This person who I thought was OK and good for the leadership job has turned out to be a back stabbing trouble maker. I had encouraged her to apply, for I thought she would be good at this. I wanted to help her etc.
    Ok so she finally applies, and gets promoted. YAY! Or so I thought.
    Now it is my job to train this person to do the leadership things we must do.
    Yet I am now finding out that this very person has been going behind my back to my supervisor, saying things that are not true. Like All I do is complain about my job, etc.

I am at odds with this, and do not feel right about any of it.
    not only has she gone to my supervisor, but has talked to other employees as well about me.

Things I have said, she has twisted to suit her, and make myself look bad, she has going to as far as to say to me, in front of my super, *what can I do FOR YOU NOW?* etc..
    the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that this person is trying to get me either fired, or transferred.

How do i deal with such a toxic person?
    How can I cover my own job and skills, without being obvious?

I love my job, and don't want to allow this person to sabotage it.
    any help or ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    -------------------------------------------------

I'm familiar with these types of people. You can do a few things, you could go around behind her back and do damage control. Or you can do what I would do and write down everything she has done to be unjust and manipulative. Find your supervisor and arrange a meeting. Don't just randomly do it in the lunch room.. LOL. You can bring up questions like "Why did you twist what I said?" " What is your ulterior motive?" One thing is for sure though, these people have a tendency to weed themselves out of their circles. It may be you today and tomorrow, but it will be Wendy next month etc... and so on. Also I noticed she shows signs of being a martyr
    *what can I do FOR YOU NOW?* etc..
    I despise martyrs! A martyr is a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.
    I'm not all about fighting fire with fire, but I have held back and allowed a saboteur to continue with such silly antics. When it all came down on me, my argument was too congested with fragmented examples and I choked in my own naïve defence. If all else fails, just foreword this page from Helpdesk to all your co-workers! LOL, I would love to see the poor girl after that.

May 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
    well, I have had a slight conversation with my supervisor this afternoon. She as told me that she will talk with this person, and also said that she's noticed this person's over eagerness. And said she is going to ask her to back off. YAY , not sure what will come of this, but I shall keep you all posted. My supervisor also said to me, when I expressed my concerns of sabotage, that* it wasn't going to happen* and that I am a valued asset to the team.

That made me feel a bit better, but as I said we shall see.

So you all know, I work for a huge theme park, and my customer service skills are noticed, and commented on, all the time by my upper management teams. I have put a tremendous amount of time and effort into this job that I so love. And in the end, I know it all shows. Lets just hope they continue to agree..

I wish to thank you all for your support and concern and advice.. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Woodland scenes [ 13 Answers ]

Please can you give me any info on an artist called Ernest Walbourg Date and place of birth ? Are his paintings scarce ?

Movie scenes about conflict negotiation [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for movie scenes demonstrating positive conflict resolution/negotiation skills. Examples of really bad conflict resolution would be OK too. Want to use clip in group with teenagers. Any suggestions?

Assault by a coworker [ 4 Answers ]

I desperately need some advice, my friend was hit by one of his co-workers while they where working, The my friend was just busy like always and the co-worker walked up to him and started hitting him. Is there any thing that we can do about this? Please, this is really important, he has bruises in...

Should I ask out a coworker? [ 4 Answers ]

Over the last couple years I have become friends with a coworker (who is single). When he first started working here I was at the end of a relationship and not ready to explore new people. Now I'm ready to date again. I'm concerned that if I ask him out it could ruin a good working...

Torture (movie scenes for seminar) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone I am currently taking gr. 12 law on the new curriculum and am doing a final seminar worth 30% of my mark on torture. I've got all of my research together, but am wishing to make a video consisting of a series of clips relating to torture from various movies. If any of you can...

View more questions Search