Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 20, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Email SCAM
    Hi

Please see a scam that's doing its rounds across the web again, I found this in my inbox this morning... ;)

Email sender = "vivian amana" <[email protected]>

Dearest in the Lord,

PLEASE ENDEAVOUR TO USE IT FOR THE CHILDREN OF GOD.

I am Mrs Vivian from Bahrain. I am married to Dr.Andrews Amana who worked with Bahrain embassy in cote d'ivoire for nine years before he died in the year 2000.
    We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.
    Before his death we were both born again Christians. Since his death I decided not to re-marry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against.

When my late husband was alive hedeposited the sum of (6Million U.S. Dollars)with one BANK in cote d' ivoir e.Presently, this money is still with the BANK. Recently, my Doctor told me that I would notlast for the next three months due to cancer problem.
    Though what disturbs me most is my stroke Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to church or better still a christian individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in.
    I want a church that will use this to fund churches, orphanages and widows propagating the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that Blessed is the hand that giveth. I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and I don't
    want my husband's hard earned money to be misused by unbelievers. I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner. Hence the reason for taking this
    bold decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bossom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace.
    I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health because of the presence of my husband's relatives around me always. I don't want them to know about this development. With God all things are possible. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the BANK in ivory coast.I will also issue you a letter of authority that will empower you as the original- beneficiary of this fund. I want you and the church to always pray for me because the lord is my shephard. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian.
    Whoever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and truth.Please always be prayerful all through your life. Any delay in your reply will give me room in searching for a church or christian individual for this same purpose.
    Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein.

Hoping to hearing from you.

Remain blessed in the name of the Lord.

Yours in Christ.
    Mrs Vivian Amana.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Yes this is a scam, best to just delete or forward it to the proper law agency.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Feb 20, 2006, 07:26 PM
    My god, do people actually believe these things though? I get a couple of these EVERY day but just delete them. I'd like to ask on this thread - what proportion of you report these emails? And who should they be reported to since they are sent all round the world?
    Your post has made me think I might be a little negligent for just deleting them. Is there anything else I should be doing?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 08:18 PM
    I don't get them as I don't give out my email to a bunch of places.

In fact, I have a second email account I use to enter online contests and stuff.

That being said, when I do get them, I just delete them.

You ask if people fall for it, and unfortunately, some do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Yep, get at least 3 or 4 wanting to give money to a religious group, get 2 or 3 more every day about someone who died.

They use all sorts of mailing lists or blanket emails to known email groups.
    My hotmail has been filtering a lot out lately but our official church web site gets tons of these.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 21, 2006, 12:59 AM
    Only 6 million, I don't get out of bed for less than 10 ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Hi,
    Yes, this is familiar. Others want help for their "families", maybe true or not, but it's all asking for money, in one way or another.
    "Do people actually believe these things?" was one comment. Apparently Yes, they do. Some people respond to stuff they know nothing about.
    Another big one is getting an email asking to "verify your information", we need to "confirm your information". So, they go to the website, filling in credit card numbers, social security numbers, online banking numbers, etc; not knowing it's all a Scam.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 06:14 AM
    My standard procedure is to find the email address they are using (often it's not the return address but one they give you in the body of the email) and forward to the abuse department of the ISP. Pretty much all ISPs have an [email protected]. So if the email address (known as the drop box) is [email protected] then I would forward the email to [email protected].
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 21, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Hallo there.My name is Nez.At the moment I am a lonely poster on AMHD.My house fell down,I got fired from work,my family left me with depts the size of China.As a devout Cylon,could you please donate as much as possible,to the Nez scam account,care of Gough's Cave,behind the water pipes,door two,Cheddar,Somerset.Cheques not accepted,cash in wheel barrows only.

For your efforts,I will send you a post card from my mansion in the Maldives.God bless you all.

:D :D :D :D

Hallo... Rick... only kidding!!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 21, 2006, 09:21 AM
    I get two or three of these a day, do not even open them, just delete them, they drive me crazy, the sad part is some one will offer to help them, and give up their personal info and bam, life savings gone, the person that generally answers things like this are the senior citizens, it is so sad
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2006, 09:50 AM
    It's unfortunate that they use religion a lot in their scams too.
    Another thing rampant again are 'chain letters' and I'm sick and tired of these - can't understand why some of my patients and acquaintances still do this even though I try and discourage them.

Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    It's unfortunate that they use religion a lot in their scams too.
    Another thing rampant again are 'chain letters' and I'm sick and tired of these - can't understand why some of my patients and acquaintances still do this even though I try and discourage them.
    I often use public shaming to stop those. Many chain emails are based on a story and it must be sent to 10 of your friends immediately. I usually go to Snopes.com, find the link that shows it's a fraud and Reply All and include the link. Otherwise I reply to the sender and ask then not to include me in email chain letters.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2006, 10:00 AM
    I never get these letters and I feel really deprived! I think they would be fun to read, before deleting. There's a guy online who actually corresponds with the scammers, leads them into thinking he's going to give them money or his bank account or whatever and even talks to them on the phone and records his conversations with them. Then he exposes them on his website. I wish I could remember what that site was, because it was pretty funny.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I never get these letters and I feel really deprived! I think they would be fun to read, before deleting. There's a guy online who actually corresponds with the scammers, leads them into thinking he's going to give them money or his bank account or whatever and even talks to them on the phone and records his conversations with them. Then he exposes them on his website. I wish I could remember what that site was, because it was pretty funny.
    I did that too with a couple in Afrika, Ghana - and after a while, they stopped writing me - goody! But it is a waste of time - especially when they claim that somebody left me money and they need to send it to me and that the next cargo plane is on it's way. Things get really stupid sometimes.

Sure glad that I will have a grandchild soon and not too bored to answer those type of mails and forward them to a phishfraud site.

P.S. Orange, that's another cute picture - thanks, I always enjoy your kitties. This one reminds me of Alice in Wonderland a little.

Love and lots of good health to you and yours, Chery

I'll never be too busy for this site though - I'm addicted now, and would miss a whole lot of you great people.

Feb 21, 2006, 12:04 PM
    I was shocked at just how many people still get these types of emails, I use two accounts like a lot of people on my main account its spam free but my public account OMG spammed to the HILL... NK that's a super cool idear I'm going to give that a go on reply all with the HOAKS link...

So should these emails just be cleared or is it really worth reporting them to the arths to take action? Orange if you can find that website that would be cool to look at. Chery guess you will have your hands full soon.

Nez is your email going around as SPAM yet lol?? That made me really LMFAO after reading it...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2006, 01:44 PM
    As PT Barnum said; "there's a sucker born every minute". Frankly, I have little sympathy for people who fall for these scams. There has been so much publicity about them, there is really little excuse for it. Another axiom is; if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. A lot of these scams appeal to the greed in people, another reason not to have much sympathy for them.

I see little point in reporting them though. Most use spoofed addresses and temporary ones that are nearly impossible to trace. So reporting is unlikley to result in prosecution.

The phishing scams, like Fred mentioned, are a little more understandable, but still there has been plenty of publicity about them. They are also easier to know where to report, just use the domain of the institution they claim to be from.
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2006, 07:32 PM
    I've heard that this scam is the 3rd or 4th biggest money making organisation in Nigera. I don't know if that's totally acurate but that's what I've heard

Feb 24, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Thanks for all the feed back on this thread guys, I'm just very shocked by how much of this goes on still in this present time...

There needs to be more law enforced against people caught doing these types of crime... Because most of it is just a money spinner for them.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2006, 11:49 AM
    If we were able to stop them we'd be able to stop spam but alas...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tmobile Is A Scam [ 11 Answers ]

Jan 9, 2005 T Mobile P.O. Box 3210 Albuquerque, NM 87190-3210 Re: 330213164 To whom it may concern:

Usb Drive Scam [ 4 Answers ]

I had purchased a 512mb USB 5 in 1 Mp3 Player. And when I formatted it, the memory got reduced to 256mb disk, even I used complete 497 mb storage before formatting. But after formatting I was surprised to see that it became 256mb drive. Is there any solution for this problem. When I asked...

How do you know if it's a scam? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way of telling what prodcuts are scams when looking for skin lightening methods online? (ie- I've heard that http://www.whiterskin.com is a scam) And what's the deal with chemical peels... are they good or bad?

Nursing Agency Scam [ 2 Answers ]

Nursing graduates are really in demand nowadays but they just have to be careful enough to avoid scams

View more questions Search