Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    summo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Being sued by Chase
    I recently received a summons to appear for a pretrial conference on June 6th. Chase is suing me for two combined accounts of roughly 3,193.29 I certainly don't have that kind of money and also owe to two other creditors as well. I need to know what I should do, do I wait and go to the pretrial conference and see what the outcome is, what would the outcome be? Or file for bankruptcy?? I don't have any money for an attorney, I'm just somebody who got head over heals in debt and am now screwed. Help! :confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 04:37 AM
    I have dealt with Chase on a couple of occasions. Have you tried calling them? You might be able to at least pay what you owe in arrears to avoid the court action for the whole amount. I have done that. They aren't as hard to work with like some credit card companies can be.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Bankruptcy is an option, as well as a "consent agreement" or "consent order" under which you pay Chase each month. Bankruptcy offers a consumer a choice: Chapter 7 or Chapter 13. There are several factors to consider: your debt, budget, income, and your state's exemptions. If you lack money to repay a debt, it doesn't matter whether the debt is $3k or $300k; so Chapter 7 may work best. If you can afford to repay $100 per month and have regular income, Chapter 13 may be your best option, keeping in mind that a Chapter 13 must be completed by 60 months. And, you cannot borrow during the Chapter 13 without permission of the Trustee and the court.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 06:27 AM
    I agree that bankruptcy is an option. But, I would like to see someone explore every other opportunity to be right financially before considering it. I have been so close to filing for it so many times...

May 4, 2008, 06:32 PM
    I don't have the money to repay though. Not even 100 dollars, should I even go to the hearing... or just file bankruptcy? I have other creditors that I owe to and don't want to have to pay all of them, since there not sueing me just chase is for the two accounts that I have with them. I have 3 others that I owe to... I have around 6,000.00 in debt roughly. The bankruptcy doesn't wipe you clean anymore you would have to repay all outstanding debt. Not just the 4 grand that I owe chase. I am still confused.. . what would happen in the conference? Are they going to get there money? or am I possibly judgement proof?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2008, 08:51 PM
    You will need to read your notice of pretrial conference. Did you file an answer? The pretrial conference is likely an opportunity for the court to see whether your case is ready to go to trial; the next notice is likely a trial notice. As for a bankruptcy filing, you can't pick your creditors; you must list all of them. Chapter 7 would discharge your debts, but you have to make an arrangement with creditors that helped you purchase some kind of furnishings or other property; or else surrender the property to the creditor.

May 4, 2008, 11:55 PM
    They picked the court date for me for the pretrial conference, its already set up... but I don't want to go to trial... im hoping to settle out of court or to be let go free... lol. I don't have any property or furnishings boughten with the credit just food mabey clothes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple/ chase thermostat [ 23 Answers ]

I let the batteries run low on my thermostat. I just replaced them but the display still reads "lo bat" and the heat does not kick on. I checked the fuse and it is still intact. Please help!!

Maple Chase Thermostats [ 1 Answers ]

My house uses two Maple Chase Thermostats to separately cool the upstairs and downstairs from one HVAC unit. Can anyone tell me how to run the fan only with this arrangement? It doesn't come on even when both switches are set to fan.

Maple Chase Thermastat [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: My thermastat was flashing LOBAT (low battery?) so I put in two new fresh batteries and it is still flashing LOBAT. Should I have turned it OFF first? How do I fix it?

Chase utley [ 1 Answers ]

How much is a chase utley 2006 fleer ultra rising stars with number urs5

View more questions Search