Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twbffl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Tile Underlayment in Bathroom.
    Due to a cast iron toilet flange that sticks up approximately 1" after old tile/mortar removal, I need to build up an underlayment. The subfloor is 3/4" plywood 16" oc. I am thinking about putting down a 5/8 layer of plywood and than 1/4 cement backerboard to get level with flange for tiling.
    Is this acceptable? Also, with putting 1/8 to 1/4 " inch expansion gaps along
    The walls for both the plywood and backerboard, How do I prevent grout from
    Tiling going down the expansion gaps along the walls?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 20, 2006, 04:34 PM
    You can do what you want to do. Make sure you use thinset to adhear the cement board to the 5/8 then use the proper screws. Only thing is your flange will now be below your tile so a double wax ring or a flange extension may be needed. If you use 1/2 cement board then tile, your tile will be flush to the top of the toilet flange. Ideally your tile should be the same height as the flange.
    As for the expansion gaps you want, install some caulking between the subfloors and the walls.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 07:04 PM
    I am not sure you need to do much except clean up the old floor and make sure it is screwed down solid. If you are putting down ceramic tile, half of that inch will be taken up with the tile. The stool has a recess in it to accommodate the flange being slightly above the floor. Measure it. I would use the cement based floor lever Armstrong makes to make the area the stool sets on as level as possible, so it sits solidly on the tile. Tile over a level surface should give a level surface.
    nice_cobra Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jan 16, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Tip:
    Sometimes, if you are OK with a little rasing of the floor , you may lay a new tile over old tile. Just clean old tile well, scrach it using a grinder and add cement addhesive(sold in hardware store) in the thinset mix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I Tile over Tile? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I am about to start gutting out one of our bathrooms. Our plan is to replace the existing floor tiles. Can I lay the new tiles over the existing ones if they are all solidily in place. If yes how is this done? Thank you!

Getting a smooth underlayment for Linoleum flooring [ 14 Answers ]

Hello again! I am planning to install linoleum flooring in my kitchen, for that super retro look. :) The installation instructions stress that the underlayment must be as SMOOTH as possible. Any indentations or imperfections will show through the linoleum. My underlayment is plywood, CDX...

Another Bathroom is needed... The boys are fighting to use the bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

First, thank you for having this kind of forum. Now also let me say that I'm not well versed in the plumbing lingo so hopefully you will be patient with my questions. I live in a 3 levels home (Basement, Main, Upstairs) with the existing bathroom is on the main floor. I'm planing to add...

Tile Bathroom Floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband just recently Tiled our bathroom floor, and he just grouted the tile yesterday, how long will it need to dry before being able to get wet (like if we use the bathtub/shower) and also is it necessary to seal the grout? He says it's not but I have read on the internet otherwise? ...

Tile [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between ceramic or porcelain tile?

View more questions Search