Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shrockland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Running new power to above ground pool
    I need to get power to my above ground pool it is approx.100 feet from the elecrical panel what size wire do I need and when I bury it does it need to be in conduit?
    quadragin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 09:34 PM
    You can run direct bury romex, for that run I would use 10/2 with a ground.
    Typical 20Amp circuit is 12/2 romex you might get away with 12/2 but above ground pool pumps are 110volt and pull large amps like in the 15 amp range.
    You might want to run 12/3 and see if your pump will run on 220 about 4 amp draw.
    By the way 12 = 12 gauge and the 2 = 2 wires.
    You will also need to install a 20 amp GFCI Breaker, or get an outdoor GFI plug and box.

DO NOT RUN extension cords as you will burn up your pump.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

May 7, 2008, 07:27 AM
    I heard through an electrician I talked to after I had my pool installed that 220 is the better way to go as far as cost and wear and tear on your electric motor in the long run its better.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 02:05 PM
    The advice you received regarding the cable is absolutely incorrect.

First off, Romex is never allowed to be buried. It cannot be in any wet location. Let alone in the ground.

There is a cable that looks like Romex, but is it called UF cable, and is allowed to be buried,

However,

UF cable is not allowed to be used for pool wiring either.

Most locations allow widely used Sch 40 PVC conduit, complete with all fittings , and pulled through THHN/THWN or XHHW wire.

Pool wiring is very critical. Best to contact your local electrical inspector. Each state and city can have their own specific requirements for pools, along with the National Electric Code.Many will have a detailed sketch showing exactly what is expected.

Use 240 volt rated motors if available. They don't run any more efficient, but the higher voltage will help with the voltage drop. The distance you have will require voltage calculations to be done, based on the voltage, HP of the motor, type of wire used, etc. Guessing here does not work.

I am the first to help a DIY'er, but with pools, there are many various requirements all changing with the wide differences of the situation.

Ground fault breakers, special grounding, locations of outlets and lighting, only to name a few.

Best to call in a pro on this.
    kenjr1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 08:41 PM
    I am installing a above ground pool about 250ft from my house, I know there is a voltage drop,motor is 115v and 12 amps, what size wire and gfci breaker should I use.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 02:47 AM
    For the data provided , this motor will need #6 copper.

Better of using a 240 volt motor, same size would need #12 wire.
    kenjr1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 06:11 AM
    So, your saying 240 volt motor use #12 wire and 2 pole 20 amp gfci breaker. And at the motor I will have 240volts ?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 06:47 AM
    Yes, but the motor will need to be rated and connected for 240 volts.

This assumes the motor will be 6 amps at 240 volts.

A 2 pole 240 Volt GFI circuit breaker will be needed.
    davesmth41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 07:18 AM
    I just got done doing this same thing, and the variance in code is crazy from town to town. I ran a new service cable 4-4 from the main panel to my shed where I installed a 100 amp sub panel (180 feet). Also be careful, our local home depot told me 18 inches buried was satisfactory where in reality I had to go 36 inches (rented trench digger for this $114 for the day). I then ran 12-3 UF in conduit from the shed sub panel to the pool power post (40ft). All cables had to have 5 ft of conduit going into/out of the ground. I did all the work, had an electrician verify and sign off my permit ($86) and make my connections. Inspector was thrilled and I am all done. All in all, about $700, service cable is not cheap.
    tjf101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 04:14 PM
    If you use 240v instead of 120v it will cut the amount of amps the motor pulls in half, which in turn will lower your electric bill. I do not believe you need #6 for a 240' run. Voltage drop does not play much of a factor until you pass 300'.
    mikeyb100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
    I have a 24 ft above ground pool. Me and my wife bought are home with this pool already here but as soon as we got the pool running the pump stopoped working so I got another pump and it has done fine for 2 years now nut it gets really hot to the point you can't touch it and it has shut off before on its own.im curious if its running on 220 or 110 I don't know wich one though and witch one would be better it's a 2 hp hayward pump
    monster88 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
    How far away does the gfci plug need to be from the pool?

Apr 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
    I already ran the plug from my panel to the pool and it about 5 feet from the pool wall is that OK. The run is about 120 ft from panel to the pool.

Apr 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
    I want to get my electrical inspected this week and is $80 for inspection good or bad?

Apr 15, 2012, 09:34 AM
    Why do we need a gfci plug any ways. I already ran a plug for my pool to run the pump?

Apr 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
    My pool is about 10 ft away from my house.
    O7ROADKING Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 09:38 AM
    You information is incorrect.the only reason it is cheaper to run a motor at 240 volts is it allows you to run smaller wire. A 1 HP motor cost the same to run on 240 volts as it does at 110 volts 746 watts is 746 watts.it may be a tad more efficient but you won't see it in your bill .and as a rule of thumb after 100 feet voltage drop is an issue the lower the voltage the more and issue it becomes.and the last thing you should be doing is giving bogus information on wiring swimming pools.you will get somebody killed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool in ground [ 5 Answers ]

Can I put an above ground pool in a hole with about one foot of it sticking up? What do I do about water splashing out and washing away the back fill? What do I do about pluming and elec. Thanks

Above ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find where my pool is leaking?

Install New Pool Liner-Above Ground Pool [ 1 Answers ]

We are going to install a new liner in an above ground pool this weekend. I have read conflicting information as to when the skimmer and jet holes should be cut. Do you fill the pool with water within a foot of the skimmer, attach the trim kit and then cut out the liner? I don't know what to do,...

Above Ground Pool [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 20' above ground pool - approximately 4 years old. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that on 1 section of the liner, wrinkles have started to appear and that the liner itself bumps out a little more toward the top of the pool than in other sections. The wrinkles may have been there before, but I...

In ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

I have opened(removed cover) my inground pool for the summer and discovered that there are 4 creases in the bottom. Can you assist in an explanation on why this would happen. They are about 3-4 ft long and 1/8" wide in different areas.

View more questions Search