Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LostnFound44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 08:27 AM
    1099-MISC to attorney for title insurance
    At a closing an attorney represented the buyer of the property. At the closing the lending institution issued a treasurers check payable to "Attorney - Agent" for lender's title insurance. The invoice for the title insurance is from a third party title insurance company.

Is this transaction reportable on a 1099-MISC to the attorney?

Can you provide reference to the regulations or guidance that show that this is or is not required reporting?

Thank you very much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 08:31 AM
    It depends if the lawyer is incorporated or not. If he is incorporated, then the Form 1099-MISC is not needed.

If he is not incorporated, but that check is the only check he has evern gotten from the title company and the amount is under $600, then Form 1099-MISC is not required.

If the check is part of a number of payments which total over $600, then the Form 1099-MISC is required.

I cannot cite the IRC, but some research on www.irs.gov should get you the needed citation.
    pok Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Additional information:

Lawyer payment is a special case. Even the lawyer is incorporated, the amount needs to be reported on 1099-misc. See reportable amount to corporations in IRS 1099-misc instructions.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 06:51 PM
    I cannot confirm Pok's issue about requiring a 1099 for an incorporated lawyer, but I see no reason to doubt his word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 Misc [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident of India currently on H1 B I received a 1099 misc for 700$ reported in box 7 for services provided in a health study from my employer. How should I report this? Can I use 1040 NR? Thanks for your help VBK

1099-Misc [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I received both W2 and 1099-Misc forms from two different employers I am using Taxengine online software, and the question is where to report the 1099-Misc income: Schedule C ? Schedule E ? Schedule F ? Form 4835 ? Form 1040, line 21 ?

F-1 to cpt to opt- two w-2's & 1099 misc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi *Indian Citizen I am on F-1 and got CPT in Summer 2005 (May05-AUG05) and am on OPT since OCT05. I have a W-2 from school from Jan 05 to May 05, a 1099-MISC from May 05 - Aug 05(my internship/CPT) and another W-2 for the rest of 2005 from my employer(OPT). I am trying to figure out...

1099-MISC without SSN [ 8 Answers ]

I know this ? Has probably been answered here before but here it is again: My very small business paid an independent contractor over $600 in 2005. We have the person's address but either never got the SSN or have lost it. This person, when contacted, is refusing to give us the SSN. Can we file...

View more questions Search