Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmshowbiz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 01:33 AM
    In wall heater is giving off heat when thermostat is off. Any thoughts?
    Hello from California!

I just moved into an older home that has an older gas furnace/heater that is built into the wall. The brand is "Westwood" and it's approximately 16x66 inches. It sticks out about 4 or 5 inches on each side of the wall (one side heats the living room, and the other side heats the hallway).

I notice that heat is coming from the heater even when the thermostat is in the off position. The thermostat is located on the wall... about 20 feet from the heater-- a red wire and white wire goes under the house connecting the thermostat to the heater. The heater does have a pilot light.

When I stand next to either side of the heater, I can feel that heat is coming from it (it's noticable-- more than what a pilot light should do). I think this is responsible for drying out the air in the house. As Summer is coming, I'd like to fix this so that no extra heat comes from my heater.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! The house was built in the late 1940's. I'm not sure how old the heater is, but it must be at least 30 years old.

Thanks!
    :)

P.S. On the hallway side of the heater, near the top, is a little chain. It looks like a pull chain and is the same type of chain as you'd find on the necklace of a military dog tag. I've no idea what that chain is for. Any ideas?

Here is the heater:

Pull chain is below
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2008, 08:34 PM
    If the pilot light is adjusted to high its like a small burner on all the time a rusted out pilot orifice will cause the flame to be high also. The blower on that style works off a temp act switch. Is the fan cycling on and off with the thermostat off? If not I would say you are getting your heat from the pilot assembly. It won't hurt to turn the gas off to the wall furnace for the summer and get it checked out next winter.
    cmshowbiz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Hi T-Top,

Thanks for the reply. The heat is a constant thing. I don't hear a blower/fan come on and off. It's just heat that I feel coming from the unit when I stand in front of it. From your answer, I now think it is the pilot light. I'll look into lowering the flame, and/or replacing the orifice (if needed), etc. If I can't lower it easily, I'll take your advice and turn the gas off to the wall furnace for the summer. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Wall heater pilot light lit, but cuts off when I turn heater on [ 6 Answers ]

I have a wall heater, the pilot light was out so I re-lit it a couple days ago and it went on.. about 4 hours later I noticed it was out again... same thing off and on for three days... this time I lit the pilot and turned the heater on it immeditly made a click sond and went out completely... it...

Disturbing thoughts, giving up with life [ 6 Answers ]

Hey people, I think I really need help. I have never been a confident person, but I have generally always been a happy person, until I was about 17 I'm now just 19. At 17 I met a lad and fell madly in love but he was an absolute idiot and knew I could never be with him. We text for well over a...

Boiler not giving heat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have just moved house and yesterday the boiler a Vokera linea 24 has not exactly packed up but I have hot water but no heating at all, have checked the pressure and all is OK but as I have no manual (and cannot locate one on the net ) I needed to know if it is something I can do myself or...

Replacing an electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home to Gas Heat [ 1 Answers ]

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater. The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no...

View more questions Search