Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thecnohelp08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 09:11 PM
    HVAC Hard Start relay capacitor
    When should I use a Hard Start Relay- Capacitor in a Hermetic Compressor? And How it works? Thanks.
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

May 3, 2008, 03:56 PM
    You usually use a start capacitor on old compressors having a high voltage draw. Best bet is a hard start kit. It has a solid state relay built in. Its connected in parallel with the start wire on the compressor. Hope this helps
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 3, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Well, the voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously, so the capacitor initially acts as a short which activates the start winding. The capacitor has a parameter called ESR or effective series resistance. Now suppose you do this starting electronically, so your not limited by the ESR.

Hard start kits seem to be necessary because of the use of TXV's without the ability to equilize pressures when the system turns off this the sysen starts with high head pressure.. Also TXV;s are sometimes required by the manufacturer when the vertical distance between the evaporator and condenser is exceeded. It's also used to extend the life of the compressor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start capacitor/ run capacitor info [ 3 Answers ]

OK I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a run capacitor or my start capacitor My fan on top of my unit runs but the compressor will hum for about 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so . Is it possible for my duel run capacitor to let the fan run but not let the compressor run, or is...

Goodman blower motor will start when hand spun. Capacitor? [ 4 Answers ]

I posted before about my air handler not kicking on. I crawled up to the attic. I found that if I spin the blower motor once by hand, the unit will run normally until it is turned off. Then, it won't start as before. Is this the capacitor on the side of the blower? It is a Goodman heat pump...

Gas Furnace Clicking Relay, Will Not Start [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 20+ year old Kenmore Natural Gas Furnace (intermittent ignition) (model 867.769030). It just started a rapid, constant clicking and will not start up, and makes no other noises. The clicking is coming from sparking in the combustion air relay. Any ideas of what the problem may...

Ceiling Fan - Motor Start Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan whose motor fails to self-start. The fan has three speeds. All three speeds work fine if I hand spin the blades, starting at low speed of course. The fan has a remote unit. Once I hand start the fan the remote allows me to change speeds up and down and turn off the...

Controlling HVAC with X10 Relay [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to turn off my AC when the Patio door and or windows are left open for 3 min. I am currently using Homeseer along with the Gemini Napco Plugin. I can detect the opening and closing of the door and window zones and then create an event to trigger an X10 command after 3 minutes to a...

View more questions Search