Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1CMM Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Garnishing of certain or all taxes
    Hello, my question is that I know that they can not garnish your disability. But it was told to me that they can garnish your state taxes but not federal. Please tell me if this is true or not. What are they not allow to garnish. I have medical bills and a hospital is trying to garnish my account though I'm on disability. So I need to know what are they allowed to take. Somebody please give me a clear and by law answer and if they got proof of this answer or if they can back it up show me the site so I can see for myself hopefully its one I want to hear. Thank you:o
    TaxSage Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 10:07 PM
    1CMM,

Federal income taxes, are not deductible because the tax law specifically prohibits a deduction for them, but you can deduct state and local income taxes. However, you can elect to deduct state and local general sales taxes instead of state and local income taxes. But you cannot deduct both taxes in the same year.

For further information, you may want to check IRS official website: Disability Income

Sage
    TaxSage Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 10:15 PM
    You may also want to check the following: Federal Payment Levy Program; State Income Tax Levy Program (SITLP)

Sage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing of certain or all taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my question is that I know that they can not garnish your disability. But it was told to me that they can garnish your state taxes but not federal. Please tell me if this is true or not. What are they not allow to garnish. I have medical bills and a hospital is trying to garnish my account...

Garnishing my sisters Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I co-signed a car for my sister that went into repo, threw a small claims judgement that "we" owe on now and she ran off to another state to try to get out of it and she is very hard to keep track of. I filed a small claim against her because I have been the only one paying on the car for the last...

Garnishing in my [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I were awarded a judgement and would like to go after this guy to collect our money. It has been 2 years and he has moved around but never paid us a dime. We need to know how we can garnish wages, bank accounts and income taxes without having vital information (ie. Social security...

Garnishing Wages(Please help!) [ 3 Answers ]

I am from Wisconsin. I have a debt with a credit card company,(silly me, I let my ex boyfriend charge, with word they he'd pay me back), and they sued me. I went to court and excepted the judgement. The company's attorney contacted me and gave me a financial disclosure statement to fill out. I...

View more questions Search