Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1CMM Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Garnishing of certain or all taxes
    Hello, my question is that I know that they can not garnish your disability. But it was told to me that they can garnish your state taxes but not federal. Please tell me if this is true or not. What are they not allow to garnish. I have medical bills and a hospital is trying to garnish my account though I'm on disability. So I need to know what are they allowed to take. Somebody please give me a clear and by law answer and if they got proof of this answer or if they can back it up show me the site so I can see for myself hopefully its one I want to hear. Thank you:o
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 3, 2008, 06:19 AM
    1CMM, I got this by googling 'exempt funds from garnishment' and posted it on another question. I didn't post the website because I thought it would be difficult to retrieve this information from it. Most anything you want to know nowadays can be obtained on google.com. Good luck.

Exempt Funds

Even if the bank account is in just your name, there are some types of funds that are considered "exempt" from debt collection under state or federal law. The rationale behind these laws is to allow people to preserve the basic necessities for living. Although it varies by state, exempt funds would typically include:

* Most government benefits, including Social Security, unemployment insurance, veterans' benefits and public assistance
    * A percentage of your earned wages, which varies by state
    * Alimony or child support payments, and other payments for the support of a dependent
    * Proceeds of the sale of property which is exempt from collection, such as a homestead exemption
    * Disability or unemployment benefits from your employer
    * Workers' compensation
    * Retirement benefits, such as pension or annuity payments
    * Life insurance benefits due to the death of an insured or for wrongful death claims
    * Payments due to personal bodily injury, in an amount that varies by state

In addition, many states allow debtors what's called a "wildcard" exemption of $1,500 to $2,000 in property or cash to be used as the debtor sees fit. So if you are forced to divulge your assets in a post-judgment procedure (sometimes called "supplemental proceedings" or "citation to discover assets"), you'll want to let the debt collector know at that point that the funds in a particular bank account are exempt either because of the type of funds they are or because they are your wildcard exemption. You'll also want to write a letter to the bank ahead of time to let them know that all the funds in a particular account are exempt.
    Seizure Process

When the bank receives notice from the debt collector, the bank must "freeze" any funds in your account that are not exempt from collection. That means you can't withdraw the money or use it to pay checks you've written. If you've already written checks on the account and are in danger of "bouncing," you'll want to make alternate arrangements for payment on those checks.

When you receive notice from the debt collector or bank that your account has been frozen, you'll want to notify the bank and the debt collector in writing if the funds in the account are exempt. Ideally, you would be able to prove that all the funds in a particular bank account are exempt. If you have "commingled" exempt and non-exempt funds, it becomes more difficult to protect. If you know ahead of time that there will be a court judgment entered against you, it makes sense to keep the exempt funds in a separate account, and not commingle exempt and non-exempt funds.

Many courts allow you a formal hearing to explain why the frozen funds shouldn't be seized or garnished. If the notice of the seizure or garnishment of funds doesn't detail the steps you must follow, call the clerk of the court where the judgment was entered and find out the appropriate process. There usually isn't a lot of time to protest a bank account garnishment or seizure, so it's best to move quickly. And the sooner you act, the sooner the exempt funds will again be available for your use.

It's important to provide detailed documentation that the funds in the account are from entirely exempt sources. For instance, you might provide:

* Bank deposit slips
    * Paystubs
    * Statements from government benefit agencies
    * Statements from insurance companies
    * Real estate closing statements
    * Pension or annuity statements
    * Bank account statements and registers
    * Any other documentation you can find that traces the funds from an exempt source into that particular bank account

It's best to provide the detailed document to the debt collector and the court ahead of time, in as clear a manner as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing my sisters Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I co-signed a car for my sister that went into repo, threw a small claims judgement that "we" owe on now and she ran off to another state to try to get out of it and she is very hard to keep track of. I filed a small claim against her because I have been the only one paying on the car for the last...

Garnishing in my [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I were awarded a judgement and would like to go after this guy to collect our money. It has been 2 years and he has moved around but never paid us a dime. We need to know how we can garnish wages, bank accounts and income taxes without having vital information (ie. Social security...

Garnishing Wages(Please help!) [ 3 Answers ]

I am from Wisconsin. I have a debt with a credit card company,(silly me, I let my ex boyfriend charge, with word they he'd pay me back), and they sued me. I went to court and excepted the judgement. The company's attorney contacted me and gave me a financial disclosure statement to fill out. I...

Garnishing laws [ 2 Answers ]

I took out a loan in s.c and am currently working in ga. Can they garnish my wages or put me in jail brcause ga has a garnishing law and s.c doesn't.

Garnishing Checks [ 1 Answers ]

Can I have my payroll check garnished?

View more questions Search