Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ragini Devi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 06:53 PM
    208 volts in a 110 Circuit?
    Hi! We recently performed at a major hotel and had requested four 20-amp circuits. When we arrived, there on the stage was a metal box with 4 regular looking grounded outlets connected to a very long snake covered with metal. We plugged in our musical gear and everything popped and smoked and blew out. Finally the hotel engineer came over, took a reading on his voltage meter and it read 208! Yikes. Can a 110 circuit be mistakenly be wired for higher voltage? The hotel is claiming they are not responsible for frying our equipment. Can you give me some info please? Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2008, 07:06 PM
    No, the plugs do not match and can not exchange.

Who ever did the wiring hard wired it in wrong, or uwed the wrong type of plub for a 110 system. I would say yes they are liable.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 07:06 PM
    A standard 120V outlet is supposed to have 120 Volts on it. The outlets determine the voltage or range of voltages that is supposed to be connected to them. A 120 V, 20A outlet should be supplied with something around 120 V. 208 is not permissible. The electrician connected things wrong at the panel.

There are a few cases which this is not true. There are some twist-loc receptacles that are allowed to be either and, of course, the detachable power cords to equipment can be either.

If the outlets were the standard 120 V, 20 amp outlets, then, I believe whoever did the wiring was responsible. If the electrician is employed by the hotel, then the hotel should be liable. If the electrician was hired by the hotel, then the electricians company should be liable.

I think a lawyer would get it cleared up pretty quick. If not, you can always go to small claims court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between 110 volts and 115 Volts? [ 5 Answers ]

What is the difference between 110 volts and 115 Volts?

Not enough volts [ 3 Answers ]

I have hung two new ceiling fans in the family room. One light outlet has 6 wires three black three white the other has one black and one white. The switch on the wall has a black and a white. I do not have 110v after turning on the breaker, at the switch I have approx. 75v any ideas. Harsh

120 volts vs 240 volts tools [ 3 Answers ]

How do I configure a 120 volts 60hz woodworking tools bought in the usa to work on a 240 volts 50hz power rating in my country without having to compromise the motor operation. I understand that the stepdown transformer can only reduce the voltage but not the cycles. That means that a tool with...

Low voltage, 35, 68 volts, testing Circuit - STRANGE! [ 15 Answers ]

OK, I need all the help I can get on this one. Please see attached picture. Let me keep it simple. I'm installing a new circuit for 2 new ceiling fans in my house. I ran 12-2 from a new 20 Amp breaker into the ceiling where the first fan will be. From the ceiling box, I ran 12-3 down to...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search