Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Biggest L/D fear here!
    As the end of my pregnancy nears, the more I ponder over labor and delivery. Honestly, I'm not nervous about the pain and all that jazz. My biggest labor/delivery fear is the possibility that I could "poo" on myself... :eek: Yikes!! So my question is, if anyone is comfortable answering, did this happen to you during the pushing phase? I want to hear your labor and delivery stories to ease my mind(or not:p ) Thanks ladies!
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

May 2, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Believe me when your at that point you won't even care!
    That did not happen to me, or most of the people that I have talked to.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 04:28 PM
    I'm sure that's the case; it's just so hard to imagine not caring, haha! Ug, I hope I can slide by that "issue" though!
    amIwrong Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

May 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
    I can see being scared about the pain, but remember fear makes it worse. I mean, if you are planning to use some form of pain management then hopefully you won't be so distracted to have to worry about that. I know pooing on the table is a common fear of women, and really, your in a room full of people, with more important things going on. If nothing even more private things going on. I mean, I know this does not mean anything, but for one, the medical staff sees it all the time and they expect it, they don't care. Really, it's just another day at the office. I am serious, you are just one of several. It's new to you, not them. If your husband/boyfriend/baby daddy is there I am sure if this is his first he is either as over whelemd as you are trying to take it all in, or won't notice due to the baby being the priority.

I mean, none of us wants to throw up in front of someone, but I am sure you have been at some point in your life, or drunk and gotten sick in front of someone? Had a period emergency in public? I mean, your not going to be doing this in public, so... it's not that bad. Not to freak you out, and I am sure you have thought about all of this but the duration of the labor, an episiotomy, c section, etc are more scary then pooing. I would gladly take pooing over those things. I know it's scary, but the media does it no justice. I mean, the media plays up everything they can to be dramatic. I have watched women give birth to their own baby in water birth with a midwife available and did just fine. It seems the more at peace you are the better the chances. Though, obviously things can happen. Here is a source that might be useful if you have not seen if before. Birth Story Diaries - women and their birth stories told in pictures If nothing else give yourself an enema when your in pre labor or active labor then you won't have to worry about it. Or ask your OB for one. Lastly, almost every patient I have seen, maybe 90% have pooed.

Quote Originally Posted by rankrank55
    As the end of my pregnancy nears, the more I ponder over labor and delivery. Honestly, I'm not nervous about the pain and all that jazz. My biggest labor/delivery fear is the possibility that I could "poo" on myself....:eek: Yikes!!! So my question is, if anyone is comfortable answering, did this happen to you during the pushing phase? I want to hear your labor and delivery stories to ease my mind(or not:p ) Thanks ladies!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 2, 2008, 04:59 PM
    I've had two kids, natural child birth, absolutely no drugs. I honestly don't know if I pooed myself or not, if so the doctor never mentioned it, besides it's quite common so it doesn't even phase the doctor. When you are pushing you are pushing as if you are having a bowel movement, it stands to reason that sometimes something other than the baby comes out. It really isn't that big a deal sweetie, honestly.

To put your mind at ease about the rest, both my labor and deliveries where not bad. Like I said, I had natural child birth. My first was 5 hours of labor and 1 1/2 hours of pushing, I had to have an episiotomy, which was not as bad as I thought, my son was 8 pounds 2 1/2 ounces. With my second child I also had natural child birth, 3 hours of labor and 10 minutes of pushing, another empisiotomy and a beautiful 8 pound 4 1/2 ounce baby girl. You'll be just fine. Good Luck. :)
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Wow, 2 natural/no drugs... what a trooper!! Thanks for the input guys; this really helps!
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

May 2, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Hiya Rank! Thought I would put my little personal info on this :)

The first birth I witnessed... she pooed on the table. So, needless to say, I had the same fear you do now (I even apologized to the doc before hand, lol). With Colton, I pushed for hours... hard pushing. The only thing that came unexpected was watching his head do the whole peek-a-boo stunt, hahaha. (I had a mirror and watched the whole thing)

Don't you worry girlie... everything WILL be fine :) Good luck with your upcoming labor. I can't wait to see some pics of little Lia Kate. You are in my heart and prayers!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 3, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Not to worry sweetie. I had 2 with the epidural and 2 completely natural. I don't know if I messed myself or not. Wast the last thing on my mind.

Now that I work in Labor & Delivery I would say that it's about half and half. Some women do, others don't. But it's part of the normal and natural birthing process. The doctor just wipes it away and goes on with his/her business.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

May 5, 2008, 06:39 AM
    I honestly do not know. I was too occupied with getting him out already I just kept pushing away. At first I told the nurse I was afraid of that and she just said not to worry, it happens and if it does then they just clean you up and continue on. It really goes unnoticed she said. But once I started pushing I forgot about it and thenI remembered the next day after my baby was born and asked my fiancé if I did go on the delivery table and he said he didn't think so, but then he was too busy trying not to faint...
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    Hiya Rank! Thought I would put my little personal info on this :)

The first birth I witnessed....she pooed on the table. So, needless to say, I had the same fear you do now (I even apologized to the doc before hand, lol). With Colton, I pushed for hours...hard pushing. The only thing that came unexpected was watching his head do the whole peek-a-boo stunt, hahaha. (I had a mirror and watched the whole thing)

Don't you worry girlie...everything WILL be fine :) Good luck with your upcoming labor. I can't wait to see some pics of little Lia Kate. You are in my heart and prayers!!!!
    Thanks so much, such a sweet and honest answer! Helped a lot! :) I can't wait to show you guys little Lia once she makes her arrival!!

To J9- Thanks as well, it's comforting hearing from someone who sees the L/D scene on a regular basis!

Becca- I'm glad to hear that the majority of everyone's fear of pooing sort of diminishes once you really get into the pushing phase :) Ahhhhh... I feel a little better now!!
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Hun, it happens do often, and believe it or not, you won't even know it. We don't tell our patients that they pooped. It's just all part of the process of labor and completely normal and natural.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 5, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Makes me wonder if I did.:rolleyes:

You'll be just fine, and no matter what happens, it's worth it when you get to hold your beautiful baby. Jeesh, all this baby talk almost makes me want one more, ALMOST!:eek:
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Haha, you guys are grrrrrreat! I hope the staff at the hospital I will be delivering at will keep the "did I poo or not" a secret... maybe I should request that!?
    Expert

May 7, 2008, 04:31 PM
    LOL... Just don't ask and they won't tell.

You know the old don't ask don't tell policy right?
    monkey324 Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2008, 07:02 AM
    I have 2 kids and had a perfect labor and delivery and I didn't poo myself I had a friend who did but she said it wasn't that bad a little imberassed but I'm sure the dr. deal with that and are use to it and yes I don't think your going to be worrying about that too much when you go to have your baby
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 8, 2008, 12:51 PM
    My mom said that you can get an enema (spelled wrong I think) where it cleans out your bowels, and she said it worked. Ask the nurse if you can get one when you are in the hospital waiting for the delivery..

Lol this reminds me of something that my Great Grandma said once "I had three children in my life when they were born and turd done followed each one." hahaha
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
    You really don't want an enema. The reason we don't give them anymore is that enemas tend to lead to complications with labor.

Just remember this is a natural and normal process... the doctors and nurses are very used to it.

I had this fear too with my early pregnancies, but come to find out there is much more to be concerned about than whether you poop during labor.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 02:31 PM
    I have had four kids, No biggy, I probably pooped...
    Ranky Rank, you are going to be a wonderful mother, no one is going to tell you nor say anything about your poo's... LOL Even though with my first and possibly my second this was weighing heavy on my mind as well. It is all natural what goes on with your body. It will all be OK. Love your new avatar by the way! And please keep us updated with your soon to be arrival:):) Hugs and love
    jjb4060 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 10:41 PM
    When you are in that state of pushing, not only will you not care but if you do, none of the doctors or nurses will say anything anyway, because they see it all the time, and if you're worried about family seeing, Don't, because chances are they won't say anything anyway in fear that you may hurt one of them :)
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

May 18, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Labor is not as bad a you may think. I think people make it seem worse than it is. Its very hard work, but its worth it! You won't care about pooing... I was a little upset, but none of the nurses cared. Its hard not to poo when you push that hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biggest Diamonds? [ 6 Answers ]

What's the biggest recored diamon din the world? And how much is it worth? Curiousity!!

My biggest fear [ 2 Answers ]

My biggest fear is getting shots and blood taken. I have to face my fear every year or so but is there any way to stop me from almost hyperventilating. They always ask "and how old are you", but I am not doing it on purpose. Once I even passed out but it was only for about 3 minutes. I had this...

Biggest mistake of my life [ 139 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've been reading through the responses in here, and you all seem like really great people. I haven't found resolution to my situation so I'm hoping your insight could help me. My boyfriend of a year a half finally called it quits with me. We met only a week after I called...

Biggest dimond [ 3 Answers ]

What is the biggest diamond It is a planet

View more questions Search