Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thegreatestviz Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Online Gaming.
    Hey guys I want to buy Broad band/ADSL
    And would like to know for online gaming what would be the optimum speed in Mbps for the game World of Warcraft...
    Thanks
    Viz
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 2, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Typically, faster = better, up to what you can afford, but it also depends on the latency between you and the game server, not just the raw bandwidth number of your connection. Having an 8M ADSL connection to an ISP with an oversubscribed network who gives priority to business traffic may be worse for gaming than a 1.5M ADSL to a low traffic ISP with a backbone connection two router hops from the game server.

The reason I used those numbers is I have at work an 8M DSL to a national telco and a 1.5M frame-relay connection to a semi-public network. My ping times to game servers on the frame connection are 30-60 ms vs. 100-150 ms on the DSL (lower = better). The symmetricity of the connection can also be a factor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gaming computers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi What's the better computer for World of Warcraft? A MAC computer or a PC?

Does an ethernet connection work for gaming without being online? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I like to play multiplyer games with my kids and been used to using a dial-up connection plus an ethernet cable. Now we've got broadband and I don't know how to do multiplayer anymore. If I use the ethernet cable, I just get the old 'limited or no connectivity' sign. Does an ethernet cable...

Gaming error [ 1 Answers ]

I've got this new game Hunting Unlimited 4 and after the setup and everything I try to start the game and it comes up with a error saying something about prism3d.exe

Online gaming [ 10 Answers ]

Just so I'm aware Between myself and my son we enjoy online gaming and I was wondering if there are any games that cost money to play?

View more questions Search