Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cissysusan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Human digestive system
    If the human stomach ia after the small intestine, what will happen?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 09:48 AM
    How would this happen?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Anyway, perhaps that there will be a sort of incomplete digestion of the overall food. The stomach is said to mix the food and start digestion of proteins. If the food is unproperly mix in the small intestines, my opinion is that more food will be digested than if the stomach was after the small intestines. The later breaking of the remining proteins will not even be absorbed in the rest of the alimentary canal.

(I may be wrong but this is only a suggestion)
    sweettee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 05:27 PM

Do body cells need nurtrients
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2010, 07:58 PM

The cells of the body definitely need nutrients--sugars, amino acids, and fatty acids. These are passed from the chyme in the small intestine to the blood in the circulation, so they can go to all the cells.

The stomach is highly acid and starts the breakdown of proteins. It also churns the food vigorously and helps break the food into smaller chunks.

As the chyme leaves the stomach, bile from the liver and pancreatic juice from the pancreas dump into the duodenum (top of small intestine) and neutralize the stomach acid. The different enzymes from the pancreas break down protein, carbs, and fats and the si absorbs these nutrients. If the stomach came after the si, most of the digestion and absorption would already have occurred and there would be nothing left for the stomach to do.

If the food came directly from the esophagus to the small intestine, how do you think that would affect digestion?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Digestive problems and diarreah [ 3 Answers ]

I'm wondering why for the last month or so I have had a really loud grumbling in my stomach either after I eat or just throughout the day. I have a sudden urge to use the restroom and it is mostly diarreah. Even after I use the restroom the grumbling continues on and off throughout the day but I...

Dog Digestive Issues. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a large mix-breed dog who seems to vomit for no reason. Other than that, he has no other digestive issues. The vomiting doesn't necessarily follow his feeding schedule. He could just be walking around the house and vomit. He usually only does it once, but it is every couple of days it seems....

Doggie digestive systems [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 mini doxies, ages 4 & 3 1/2, not blood related, but both full blooded. In the past 2 months they have started expelling gas almost constantly. They have been on Science Diet since birth, but we do also give them daily "rewards/treats". Is this gaseous condition normal?

Cocoa's upset digestive system [ 1 Answers ]

What do you give a dog who has diahrea and won't eat her kibble? She is also farting and they stink. I gave her some plain yogurt and she lapped it up. I'm just dog sitting and I can't get ahold of her owners. HELP!

Digestive System [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 55 why.o. Female. Within 1 hour of eating a meal, all passes through me, prior to which my stomach gets bloated. Any ideas what can be the cause?

View more questions Search