Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pican00 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Installing new trap under tub
    Thanks to the advice on this board, I managed to remove the old trap and drain, but now I am having trouble finding a trap that will fit in the small space I have to work with. I am including pictures below showing my quandary. The hole you see leads to my laundry room in the basement. The space between the floor and the ceiling below is maybe 8 inches. I would prefer to not go below the ceiling as I planned on repairing it once the bathroom is finished. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use? I have scoured the internet but the only thing I see is a P trap, which I don't think would work in this limited space.

The old trap, as you can see, it needed to be replaced.

Limited space for new trap

superplumber Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

May 1, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Hello, you could put a 2" female thread x slip adaptor on the nipple, then bush down to 1- 1/2" and install a 1- 1/2" p-trap that would save you some space. Good luck.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2008, 03:59 AM
    Hi pecan00:

By looking at that picture.. I believe you already have an 1.5" pipe size.. so a 2" female adapter as suggested by SP will not work here..ok (sorry SP)?

A ptrap is the only thing that will work here.. so...

You could try to loosen that galvanized nipple using two large wrenches then install an 1.5" pvc male (threaded) adapter (teflon tape threads) and an 1.5" union ptrap to do the job (see pic.)... You will also need an 1.5" pvc female adapter to attach to threads on new tub waste (need small piece of 1.5" pipe, cement and primer, too).

Get the parts at local home supply, then DRY FIT fittings (put them in place, not cemented) and see what you think... That should do it for you.

IF can't get that galvanized nipple out then get back to us... may have one or two more ideas! Mark
    Attached Images

May 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I removed the nipple and connected a female pvc elbow to the pipe. Massplumber, thanks for the advice, I was at Home Depot and pulled up your email on my blackberry and knew exactly what to get, it was like having a plumber go to the store with me. I am now working on installing a p trap. I will probably have more questions later. Thanks again!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 3, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Glad to help! Keep us posted!

Thanks... Mark

May 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
    I have a problem matching up the drain pipe with the main drainage pipe. The pipes are about 5 1/2 inches apart and I can't find a trap that will fit. I have tried everything including flexible traps which don't seem to work either. I am including pics, I hope someone has an idea of what I can do.

Senior Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Hi Pican:

Maybe this can help (see picture).

This is an offset tub waste and overflow assembly (used left or right)... made by gerber (only way to go! ). This can be ordered through any plumbing supply house or can even be found online.

The 90 degree brass offset pipe can be cut to accommodate the spread of the p-trap.

Let me know what you think... Mark

PS...what is that p trap 90 connecting into...? Is that DRY FIT??

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing out PVC P-trap to decorative P-trap [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the process of changing out a vanity in our guest bathroom and I have a few questions. We removed the old vanity and had to cut the old p-trap off with a hack saw. We are replacing with an open vanity so now the pipes will be exposed. I want to tile half way up the wall,...

Installing P trap through basement floor [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a house with an unfinished basement and three drains capped off in one room. I was told this wasd to add a bathroom. Next to the shower drain was a cinder block buried in the concrete filled with gravel. I was told this was to install the P trap for the shower drain. I busted out the...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Installing a shower trap in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first post. When I purchase my house a full bath was roughed into the basement. I am in the process of installing a shower base in my basement. The builder roughed in the shower as follows - 6 inch PVC pipe straight into the concete

View more questions Search