Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Double duty wall socket
    When tackling my last problem (btw thanks guys!) I discovered that one of my wall sockets had a third wire (extended circuit) coming off the socket. They doubled the wire on two of the connection screws and ran a line into the side attic (Cape Cod house) to light the attic. When I was replacing the sockets I decided not to connect the attic lights. So my question is this: Is what they did previously safe and allowed by code? To me it seems that if enough load is put on the circuits downstream of this socket that it might overheat/ The original sockets were nothing special.

Thanks in advance

Doug
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Good solid connections will eliminate a common cause of electrical fires.

I am sure that one screw is not rated to handle two wires, should be a 6 " pigtail off the screw and splice that and the two wires one from each cable..

Chance of a problem because of a light blub not likely, but say some one put something there that drew a large amount of current, there would probably be a problem at this outlet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with buying new Socket 478 Motherboard! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My motherboard has blown. I can't afford to buy the m/board, cpu, ram and graphics card etc so I need to just replace the board. I am having trouble finding a board that fits my requirements as the Socket 478 seems to be going out of stock everywhere. What I need: Socket 478 M/board FSB...

Wall socket plug in chargers [ 3 Answers ]

I just heard on the T. V. that I am "waisting " (using) energy if I don't unplug my plug-in charger for, e.g. cell phone, rechargeable flashlight, etc. How can that be if I don't have any of these appliances plugged into the charger, drawing current to the appliance?

Socket 939 motherboards [ 1 Answers ]

I've read that many boards that have a 939 socket for AMD 64 bit processors can also support their new dual core X2 but what I wanted to know is how do I tell if a motherboard can support dual core or not? I thought maybe there is a list of chipsets that can support it but I don't know where to...

Ethernet cable doesn't fit in socket [ 6 Answers ]

First of all, yes, I'm putting it in the right place. I know which one is the modem socket and which one is for an ethernet cable. I've used this same socket (is that the best word?) for over a year, and it's been fine. Now, however, my ethernet cable keeps coming out of the socket. I can put...

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search