Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lily777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Heat pump not blowing cool air
    Hi,
    My heat pump has been cooling just great until last evening when the register air was only blowing 62 degrees, even as it cooled outside the register air never dropped down.
    To be safe I shut it off.
    Anything I could do other than calling repair? Does refrigerant need to be charged?
    Thanks for any help.
    Lily
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Lily -
    I can think of a couple of possibilities. There are others more expert than me that may chime in with more (or better) ideas.

1. Evaporator (inside the furnace) frozen up
      Turning it off overnight would "fix" this problem until the next time it freezes up.
    2. Low freon
      This can cause the evaporator to freeze up, as well as reducing the heat removal efficiency
    3. Compressor (outside unit) not starting
      If the compressor does not run, the freon will not be able to remove heat from the house. A couple of causes of this are:
      • Open fuse
        There should be a box attached to your house with a fuse/circuit breaker for the compressor
      • Bad starting capacitor
        I've had to replace these on my units. The outside fan runs, but the compressor never "kicks in" (you can kind of hear it make a different sound)

Either of these is a relatively inexpensive fix, if you can find a honest serviceman.

Good Luck,
    WallyH
    Lily777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Thanks! I will call for a repair, sounds like the freon...
    Lily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central AC and Heat will not shut off and is blowing cool air [ 4 Answers ]

Our central air and heating system is not shutting off and it is blowing cool air. Does anyone know what causes this and how to stop it? Should we change the air filter? We have already changed the batteries in the thermostat.

Heat Pump runs but doesn't heat or cool. [ 4 Answers ]

I know this is pretty basic--but my older Rheem Classic IX (in FL) seems to be operating fine--except it stopped heating and I think, cooling. It seems to be running fine, without any obvious leaking. It just blows the same cool air on either setting. Where should I start? Are there fuses to look...

Heat pump blowing cold air. [ 1 Answers ]

What causes the heat pump to blow cold air? Our entire unit is out side and it is electric.

Heat Pump Thermostat Set to Cool, Blows Hot Air [ 6 Answers ]

Having a problem with my heat pump system. The thermostat is set to cool but the unit is blowing hot air. If it has been turned off for awhile and we turn it back on to cool (fan set to auto), it will blow at what seems to be room temperature for awhile (5-20 minutes) and then turns to hot air...

Heat pump blowing breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Heat pump/ Air conditioner Goodman Manufacturing Model# CPKE30-18 approx. 6 years old Notice breaker was flipped while cleaning garage. Flipped breaker and heard it try to kick on. Never kicked on but kept trying. Flipped breaker off and went to look to see the...

View more questions Search