Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phil23314 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Outdoor underground ejector pump & pit venting
    I recently purchased a 30 yr. old house that has a pit & ejector pump on the output side of the septic tank. It is buried approx. 1 ft. I recently dug it up for the first time to investigate what I thought was a bad/intermittent float valve causing the pump to be operating constantly. My suspicion was confirmed.

While looking at the setup it occurred to me that the pit has no direct vent to the outside. Therefore it has to get vented back through the house plumbing. I believe this is called wet venting. Then it occurred to me that this might be the cause of strange problem we've been having on occasion, which is a lavatory trap that gets siphoned dry (you can hear the "pop-pop" of the siphoning/sucking action). Additionally, when this happens, the water level in the toilet bowl gets lower.

My question is: Does even an outdoor, underground pit need to be directly vented to the outside?

Thanks,
    Phil
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Being on the downhill side of the septic tank I am guessing you drainfield is on high ground or relocated to a different area. The house drain and venting should be plenty.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 7, 2008, 07:07 AM
    My question is: Does even an outdoor, underground pit need to be directly vented to the outside?
    Yes! The pit's sealed and MUST have a dedicated vent whether it's inside or outside. The tank should have a sealed opening that was designed to run a vent out of. A ejector pit vent should NEVER be tied back into the house venting system.Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 05:01 AM
    Do research on a lift station. Your situation is more like a lift station than a sump situation.
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    do research on a lift station. your situation is more like a lift station than a sump situation.
    Doug, A sump pump was never mentioned and a lift station describes a ejector pit, which is what he has. The question was about a vent which has already been answered. Regards, tom
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Tom, the situation is a 30 year old home, no vent on pump on downhill side of septic system. It never had a vent because it is a lift station for the septic system. Being on the downhill side of the septic tank it can not possibly affect the lavatory trap on a house system that is vented. He is looking at this like a sump pump situation in a sealed area and that situation simply does not apply. A typical lift station does not require an individual vent.
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2008, 05:25 AM
    a typical lift station does not require an individual vent.
    If it's sealed it does. And a ejector pit's sealed, otherwise it's called a sump pump with a open pit.
    Phil23314 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the responses folks.

I can't really say if the pit ever had a vent in the past or not. When I dug it up, I could see that the pit lid had been replaced with one that was home-made out of 1/2" PVC board material. If it did have a vent before, that person did not put one back on.

The drain field dist. box is approx. 250 ft. from the tank/pit. Our lot is pretty flat so I'm just assuming they had to pump it due to not being able to provide a gravity feed.

For what it's worth, I went ahead & installed a vent pipe in the pit cover before shoveling the dirt back in. The pit is about 15 ft' away from the house & windows. I figured if it started smelling, I'd install a charcoal filter.

Another problem that this system had was the lack of an alarm, which I installed. Also, I determined that the old float switch (which was working intermittantly) was set too high. It's turn on level was up so high that the effluent was allowed to fill the tank (almost to the brim) before turning the pump on. Basically, the effluent would be half way up the pit's inlet opening before things got drained. Maybe this was also part of my lavatory trap problem. It's only been about a week, but so far I haven't seen/heard the trap go dry.

Thanks again.

Phil
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
    If the pit had a wooden cover with dirt on top then it was "kinda sealed" . You did the right thimg in venting it.
    Let me know if things are still working OK. Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 24, 2011, 12:14 PM
    Hi, Equates,
    You give good answers but you got to look for the date first, Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage pump/ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

My sewage/ejector pump sometimes won't shut itself off. It has gradually gotten worse as time goes by. What could be causing this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Ejector Pit Venting - Will this work? [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in the 50's so I've got a cast-iron stack that drops out to the road about 4' up my wall. I'm putting in a basement bathroom and need to vent the system properly. I've been on this forum to figure out how to vent my drainage but now I need to vent my ejector properly. I can't...

Plumbing Ejector Pump Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have recently purchased a home in Marietta, Ga and have noticed that the basement bathroom ejector pump is vented directly into the basement. It is not vented to the roof. Is this standard or within code? My concern is methane gas being vented into a living space (finished basement). ...

Another sewage ejector venting issue [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a qwik-jon sewage ejector in the basement. The 2" discharge liine will tie into existing 4" drain after about a 2 foot lift. My problem... The only existing vent line I can access is the 1 1/2" vent from the washing machine drain. Is it possible to tie in the 3" vent line from...

Sewage Ejector--Venting problmes [ 1 Answers ]

My friend just brought a house with a sewage ejector which only serves the bathroom in the basement. We always smell some kind of damp smell in the basement,particularly the area closed to the bathroom. Does it possibby cause by the venting problem of the sewage ejector? We check all the pipes...

View more questions Search