Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nwmcgowan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Aeration vs. Power Raking
    What are the pros and cons of aeration vs. power raking my lawn before seeding and fertilizing? Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 1, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Power raking only eliminates the debris from the lawn. Aeration feeds oxygen to the roots of the grass. Do both. A good tip, and one my husband used to do, was go over the entire lawn wearing his golf shoes. It eliminated having to rent one of those push/pull rollers with the spikes in it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 2, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Hey Nater, thought there would be more replies by now. Mowerman is usually here, must be having a cold one. Tickle is correct about the power raking removing the thatch. Check to see if you have a thatch build up by raking with a rigid rake maybe 3 strokes in the same area. Don't do it right now because you are about to get hit with a storm in your area by 7:00 PM.
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2008, 02:16 AM
    You should power rake first. This removes thatch from existing grass. Which also clears the soil for good contact by seed and fertilizer. Then aerate the soil. This allows grass roots to spread, making the lawn thicker. It also allows fertilizer to move more quickly to the root zone.
    ShaneRed06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Aeration has much better results then power raking. Using a power rake can put the lawn into shock and damage the crown. The aeration will help oxygen, water, fertilizer get to the root system. Then will help expand the root system by plugging the cores. This will also help dethatch the lawn but will maintain a nice level of thatch on your lawn. This will help make your root system thicker and healthy, which will help with the lawn density.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Wire Motor for 220 outlet Power from 110 power [ 1 Answers ]

I need to wire this sander for 220 power and do not understand the diagram well enough. Currently I believe it is wired for 110 shown in picture. Please advise about correct wiring for 220. Thank you 2 attachments

Difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) in context of data center? If yes, then what is it?. Thanks.

90's spinoff of Power Power Rangers? [ 3 Answers ]

Obvious spin=off of the power rangers, but it only had three characters and they went to a cave/labratory whenever they were called to fight the bad guys... I don't know if it was a summer knock-off of the power rangers, or it's own thing?? It was basically the power rangers, but less 'rangers' and...

Power Distribution Units & Remote Power Panel [ 1 Answers ]

What is the basic functionality of these equipment ? What is differnce between PDU & RPP.

View more questions Search