Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CantLetGo1227 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Big Difference between 10k and 14k on white gold?
    Im looking to get either a 10k or 14k 1/2 carot White gold Journey Necklace. Ive been looking around at places and I've asked the real differences at the shops and of course they guide me to the 14k because of the price difference, but is there an actual drastic difference? The 10k 1/2 carot is $300 and the 14k 1/2 carot is $400, any help is appreciated, thanks!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
    The K rating refers to the amount of gold the item contains.

A 10k ring has less gold than a 14k does.

I chose a 10k ring because it is a little better at resisting scratches and dings.

The higher the gold content, the softer the object is.

Here is an estimate of gold content based on the k rating:

24k is 100%
    18k is about 75%
    14k is about 59%
    10k is about 41%

If you put them next to each other, you can see the difference, but without a 14k next to the 10k, it looks real good to me and most people could not distinguish between 10 & 14k.
    CantLetGo1227 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Would it be worth the extra $100 from 10k to 14k in your opinion? The Necklace is not for me and I have compared them, and to me, I can't really tell a big difference, They both shine and glimmer with diamonds, so it might just overlook your eye for the 10 and 14k, I'm not sure, I don't buy jewlery often and whenever you ask someone who works there, they always guided me to the more $ necklace.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 07:11 AM
    I would go with the 10k, save the money, and still get a great looking piece of jewellery!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mark on gold ring , is it really gold? [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a "gold" ring that was advertised as 10K gold but upon receipt I find that the mark is not exactly 10K. It has what looks to be a capital U with what looks to be an arrow passing horizontally through it from left to right, but the arrow tip is not visible, only the arrow "tail", It is...

Bumps, white discharge, redness, itchy, some white pus [ 6 Answers ]

This hasn't been the first time but this time its not going away and I'm young and I don't want to see a doctor. Its very itchy and the bumps are red and swollen and hurt sometimes. They also bleed and I have A LOT of discharge. Its very uncomfortable. What could it be? Do I have to see someone? Or...

What is difference between white and silver [ 1 Answers ]

It is said that white color reflects all the colors of white light. Silver also reflects all the colors of light. Then what is the difference between silver & white? Also why is it so that we can see our shape in silver (like mirror) and not on smooth white colored surface?

View more questions Search