Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GothicRomance Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Jewish movies
    So I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, since pretty much everyone here is posting questions for movie titles, but here it is anyway.

Is it just some unspoken creed that movies with Jewish actors in prominent roles always have some little something or other that is Jewish?

When a Jewish actor gets married, the wedding is almost ALWAYS Jewish.

Like Emperor's New Groove when Mudka(?) says Mazel Tov. Or Kronk's New Groove in his fantasy his wedding is Jewish.

Just found that interesting. All of Ben Stiller's weddings that I have seen have been Jewish. Adam Sandler's too.

Joanna
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 07:22 AM
    I beg to differ. There was that Big Fat Greek Wedding thing. Since 99% of Hollywood Movie Studios are Jewish owned, you do see a lot of Jewish actors and Jewish agenda in film.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    99% of Hollywood Movie Studios are Jewish owned,
    Can you back up that statement?

May 1, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Were one of the actors in Big Fat Greek Wedding Jewish? I thought she was truly Greek.

I have no problem with it at all, I identify with the Jewish faith even though I am not blood, I just found it interesting. :)

May 1, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GothicRomance
    Is it just some unspoken creed that movies with Jewish actors in prominent roles always have some little something or other that is Jewish?

When a Jewish actor gets married, the wedding is almost ALWAYS Jewish.
    This is one of the most inane questions I have ever seen.

Its not the actor but the role. Now, if you were casting for a role where the character is jewish doesn't it make sense to cast a jewish actor? On the reverse, if the role is christian, isn't a casting agent more likely to cast a christian actor?

And if the role is jewish, isn't any wedding going to be jewish? Or vice versa?

Why not ask; if someone bleeds in a move why is the blood always red?

That makes just as much sense as your question.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I can back it up Scott but you will, as always, deny it. Inane question?

CEO Media Company Ranking TV Networks, Movie Companies & Publishers
    Gerald Levin AOL Time Warner Largest media conglomerate in the U.S. HBO, TNT, TBS, CNN, TCM, Warner Brothers, Time Inc.
    Michael Eisner Walt Disney Company 2nd largest media conglomerate ABC, ESPN, A&E, Lifetime, Miramax Films, Caravan Pictyures, Touchstone Pictures
    Summer Redstone Viacom Inc. 3rd largest media conglomerate CBS, Paramount, MTV, Nickelodeon, Showtime, Country Music Television, Nashville Network Cable, Infinity Broadcasting (radio), Pocket Books, Free Press, Schribner, Simon & Schuster
    Edgar Bronfman, Sr

Edgar Bronfman, Jr. Vivendi Universal 4th largest media conglomerate Universal Studios, USA Networks, Houghton Mifflin Publishers
    Robert Murdoch Murdoch's News Corporation 5th largest media conglomerate Fox Television Network, 20th Century Fox Films, Fox 2000, New York Post, TV Guide
    Robert Perelman New World Entertainment Premier independent TV program producer in the US
    David Geffen, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Steven Spielberg DreamWorks SKG
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 07:39 AM
    ZionismExplained.org/Zionism and the Media

May 1, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Is that every Studio? Are those owners or executive management?

Doesn't Sony own a large portion of movie production?

May 1, 2008, 07:48 AM
    But movies like 50 First Dates, Sandler's role isn't as a Jewish guy, he's just a guy, but in the end when you see their wedding it is Jewish. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, it's just something that I always wondered.

Most movie weddings are Christian, even if they are produced or directed by a Jew. But when it is a Jewish actor, whether their role was as a Jewish person or not or if there was anything else Jewish in the movie, the wedding is Jewish. I find it kind of cool that they would want a piece of their own heritage and religion in contrast to the Christian wedding.

I'm not saying I have tons of information or "facts" to back any of this up. I am just going by observation. Just an "inane" question I guess...

Maybe I should have posted this in Religion.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Gothic,
    Jews get very defensive about stuff like this. Catholics, Muslims and others not so much.

May 1, 2008, 07:57 AM
    ScottGem and magprob are either of you Jewish?

May 1, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GothicRomance
    ScottGem and magprob are either of you Jewish?
    Why does that matter?

By the way, Sandler produces most of his own movies. So it stands to reason that he would have a Jewish ceremony. But I just recently rewatched 50 1st Dates. As I recall the wedding was officiated by the Hawaiian friend and co-worker. The wedding was conducted, not in a temple but out in the open. I don't recall a traditional canopy. I don't recall whether Sandler wore a yarmulka or any other specifically jewish rites as part of the ceremony.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 08:06 AM
    I'm Irish and proud of it even though we haven't taken over the entire Media of the United States. My people were too drunk to find Hollywood.

May 1, 2008, 08:23 AM
    LoL. I am adopted. I get to choose my nationality. Or at least pretend.

May 1, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Why does that matter?
    NeedKarma said Jews get defensive about this kind of thing. I didn't think either of you were Jewish and I'm not defensive, but I wanted to make sure.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 08:34 AM
    I think ScottGem is a card carrying member of AIPAC. :)

May 1, 2008, 08:36 AM
    The reason some Jews tend to get defensive when anyone suggests hidden agendas or such, is because of the persecution Jews have suffewred over the centuries. There are also non-Jews who get so defensive in sympathy.

May 1, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    I think ScottGem is a card carrying member of AIPAC. :)
    Actually I had never hear of AIPAC, had to look it up. I simply am aware of anti-semitism and how even seemingly innocent questions like this one may be an attempt to further demonize Jews. I'm not accusing your or the OP of doing that, but the OP's question was not atypical of such attempts.

Its clear that many Jews have risen in the entertainment industries. I don't know why that is so. Maybe it's a conscious attempt to try and control the anti-semitic propaganda they have suffered through the ages. But a statement like they have 99% control raise my eyebrows, since its clearly an exaggeration.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 1, 2008, 08:46 AM
    My question is this-----Does it really matter??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Is every goy an anti-semite? Sometimes I feel this is what is taught.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Jewish Faith [ 21 Answers ]

In advance I apologize profusely, if anything I say comes across offensive to anyone. Please know it is not my intent. I am inquiring, because I have a sincere desire to know. Still, if you are upset, there is no excuse, and I am sorry, but please educate me if I do cause upset. I grew up in...

Was Hitler Jewish? [ 7 Answers ]

Some people in my class said he was, and the teacher believed them, but Im not sure if HE was. I hear his grandfather was jewish though?? I am not sure. Was Hitler Jewish?

Am I Jewish? [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish....

Am I Jewish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Emily, My question is "Am I Jewish "? I have been told that unless my family members that were Jewish,were from my mother's side of our family I couldn't claim my Jewish Roots is this true? I'm very confused, why should it make any difference or does it? :confused:

View more questions Search