Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarendon107 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Eviction Process in Virginia
    Ok, here is my problem. I share a condo in Virginia with another person who has not paid any rent (her checks for the security deposit and 1st month's rent bounced). We moved into the condo on April 1st (met her on Craigslist) and had an agreement to split the rent and security deposit. We both signed the one year lease with the landlord and because of the joint and several liability clause in the lease (I do not want to ruin my credit) I have paid the entire security deposit, 1st month's rent and (today) 2nd month's rent. I want her evicted ASAP! How should I proceed? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions because most of what I find online involves the landlord-tenant relationship but not the tenant-tenant relationship.
    cleanfun Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Apr 30, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Bddy up to the landlord and let him know what's going on. He'll protect your credit if you keep the money flowing in. He can even get rid of her for you.
    clarendon107 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanfun
    Bddy up to the landlord and let him know what's going on. He'll protect your credit if you keep the money flowing in. He can even get rid of her for you.

Are you saying that I have no say in the matter? I am going to inform the landlord, but I have no problem proceeding with this myself. The landlord does not have a vested interest in getting this deadbeat out as long as I continue fronting my roommate's portion of the rent. I cannot afford to continue paying the entire rent and need her out ASAP. Besides, the landlord will not be the one suing her for back rent, I will. I have to sue my roommate for the back rent as I understand it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 06:02 PM
    You should have had separate leases with landlord. One tenant can not evict the other tenant, you are perosnally liable for the entire rent if they don't pay. Your option, take the agreement you signed with the other tenant as to who would pay want and sue them in court for the share they are not paying.
    booda1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 08:55 AM

I just rented my single home to a family that has bad credit, liens, etc. I decided to give them a chance and rented my home. The rental agreement is for 4 years and now I do not know what to do. They have not paid their rent for the month of September and now October is due. What can I do to get these people out of my home?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virginia Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a problem. I first live in an apartment complex with a lease just in my name. My sons father called me because he had no place to go and I allowed him to come and stay with us. The agreement was for 2 weeks well two weeks has turned int to a few months. I have asked him to leave and...

VIrginia eviction law and process time [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I live in southwest virginia and I am in a situation where my landlord will not repair anything in my home and I am tired of it. I thought about just not paying rent and saving it up for a couple months so I can afford to rent a new place. I am concerned though as to how long it...

Virginia eviction law [ 3 Answers ]

In Virginia, when I give a tenant a "5 day notice" to pay rent or quit, do I have to include the amount owed? I served one and got a court date for unlawful detainer. But my original letter does not have an amount enumerated. My internent search has proved confusing on the matter. Thanks!

Virginia eviction process [ 8 Answers ]

Hi--I have been impressed with the quality of responses here, but I haven't seen something that describes my situation. I am a landlord in Virginia. I have a tenant (couple) with 9 months to go on a lease governed by VRLTA (payable on the 1st), but they have been paying rent late. With no rent...

View more questions Search