Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pican00 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Removing drain pipe under bathtub
    I have an old pipe under my tub that I patched (reaching up from the basement after removing the ceiling) a couple years ago with epoxy. I am renovating my bathroom and have removed my tub and wanted to remove the old drain pipe that was patched and replace it with pvc. I can't budge the old pipe, although it looks like it is threaded, but when it comes to plumbing I am clueless. This will be the only time I can get to the pipe easily and I wanted to get this done before I installed the new tub. I am including a link to a picture below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

superplumber Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Apr 30, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pican00
    I have an old pipe under my tub that I patched (reaching up from the basement after removing the ceiling) a couple years ago with epoxy. I am renovating my bathroom and have removed my tub and wanted to remove the old drain pipe that was patched and replace it with pvc. I can't budge the old pipe, although it looks like it is threaded, but when it comes to plumbing I am clueless. This will be the only time I can get to the pipe easily and I wanted to get this done before I installed the new tub. I am including a link to a picture below. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was the leak on the threaded nipple or trap?

Apr 30, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pican00
    I have an old pipe under my tub that I patched (reaching up from the basement after removing the ceiling) a couple years ago with epoxy. I am renovating my bathroom and have removed my tub and wanted to remove the old drain pipe that was patched and replace it with pvc. I can't budge the old pipe, although it looks like it is threaded, but when it comes to plumbing I am clueless. This will be the only time I can get to the pipe easily and I wanted to get this done before I installed the new tub. I am including a link to a picture below. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The leak was on the trap, you can almost see the epoxy to the left of the threaded nipple, towards the bottom of the pipe. It was rusted and had a few small holes.
    superplumber Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Apr 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
    The easy way is to cut the threaded nipple right next to the trap and use a mission band to tie a piece of pvc pipe and then the pvc trap. But I would have a licenced plumbing contractor look at the rest of the drainlines before you do any more work to assure that the drainlines are in good condition, you don't want to finish your project and find out a few months later that there's another leak on the same drainline in the same area, its better to get rid of as much of the old system if you are remodeling your bathroom.
    Good luck
    cleanfun Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Apr 30, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Beat the heck out of it with a regular pipe wrench or a 1 handed 4lb sledge hammer.

I'm assuming you already have a chain pipe wrench like this one; http://www.daviddarling.info/images/...ipe_wrench.jpg

The longer the handle the easier it's going to be.

Then you just wrap it up tight and start hanging on it until it gives. If that doesn't work, put a carbide or cobalt blade on a circular saw and cut it out. The people at home depot can show you the right blades. They'll kind of look like an old record.

May 1, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I used a sledge hammer to loosen it some, then used a plumbers wrench with a longer pipe over it for leverage and with a little elbow grease it came off! Now I just have to figure out how to put the pvc piping on. I know how to attach it to the cast iron pipe, but I am having trouble finding the right trap and drain parts that will fit the small area I have to work with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing stuck bathtub spout [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a bathtub fill spout that has a pipe thread near the water outlet. With a mirror I can see the end of what looks like a copper male threaded fitting. It looks like it has plenty of calcium/mineral buildup. I am hesitant to apply too much force with a lever since the...

Bathtub drain pipe leaking under concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leak under my bathtub. At first thought it was the drain, replaced it and saw that the water was actually coming up from under the dirt under the slab. Is it possilbe to repair this myself? Also, can I run the drain pipe over head?

Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab....

Removing bathtub spout - no hole [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have read the Q/A's on the site, but can't find an answer to this one. First, I have a Delta faucet. It looks like Delta Faucet T13422-SOS on the www.deltafaucet.com website. (There are a few more that look like this, but it has the diverter plug on the spout.) The difference is that...

Removing a foot lock drain in a bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove a foot lock drain from my bathtub. I need to replace the washer/plunger but I can't figure out how to get the top off. I've tried unscrewing it but it feels like the entire assembly is turning. Thanks in advance for any help.

View more questions Search