Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BobCristo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Formatting the Hard disk
    Hi All,

I have a harddisk of 80GB pre installed with Win98 SE. The hard disk is not partitioned and the entire disk is being used as a whole. I would like to create the partitions for the harddisk of 8GB each. But I heard that the standard FDisk option would not be suitable to format such a huge volume. Is there any other way or tool to format such a huge volume under Win 98 SE.

Thanks
    Bob
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Partition Magic.

Feb 19, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Hi,

But I would like to know whether it is possible to formart such a huge volume by FDisk. I find "Partition Magic" is too expensive and probably I need it only once. Could you give me any other alternative method.

Thanks
    Bob
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 01:31 PM
    Yes, you can use fdisk on a 80GB HD, you'll simply get a prompt about 'large drive support':
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/

Of course fdisk is used when the disk has no data. You cannot use fdisk once you have data unless you plan to format.

Feb 19, 2006, 03:06 PM
    ThanQ Karma, this is what I'm looking for. Anyway planning to format my disk and install OS freshly

Feb 19, 2006, 03:59 PM
    Hi ,

I'm back again with a problem now. Initially I had a HDD with 80GB hardisk with a single partition. I tried to create multiple partitions using FDisk. Complete 80GB was used as Primary partition and so I got to delete the entire primary partition . After deleting all the partitions, when I tried to create partitions, I could create a primary partition of size 8GB and surprisingly I could find only 2GB as remaining available for extended partition. What shall I do to get back my remaining concealed size.

Thanks
    Bob:(
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 04:42 PM
    Hi Bob,

I apologize, I somehow assumed that you were ipgrading to XP and were using that CD to do fdisk and format. Win98 does have an issue with anything over 64GB. I hope you have access to another internet-connected PC, check here for a fix:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;263044

Or find the updated fdisk here: http://radified.com/Files/ [right-hand side under FDISK floppy]

I'm sorry for the confusion.
    togo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Please let me know step by step procedure for Formatting the hard Disk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard disk problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the...

100% CPU usage due to a new hard disk,please help me [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU...

Cannot access hard disk [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 HDs on my XP sysyem.Suddenly,I cannot access the slave,boot up locks up on"verifying DMI pool data". If I disconnect D: all is well.If I define d: as master and diconnect c:,I can then boot up from floppy and access the drive. The drive (20GIG) has partitions primary 8,extended 19+ and I...

Windows 98 and 120 gig hard disk? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using Windows98se and want to get a 120 gig hard disk. Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size partition I can use with Windows 98se. I've heard that with large hard disks NTFS format is better/more effeicient. Is this so? And how much difference would it make. I'd rather not have to go to...

Choosing Hard Disk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to buy a new hard disk, but I don't have much knowledge in this field. I would like to ask your opinion on choosing the best hard disk. I have take a look on the quatation of this particular computer store in my area. There are two choice that in my mind 1. 40GB Maxtor ATA...

View more questions Search